Honored Contributor

I wear denim, black and olive green bottoms and then go crazy with colorful tops.

Honored Contributor

Using a limited color pallette is a good trick for traveling because everything mixes and matches.   However,  the are so many beautiful colors in the spectrum that I find I can't just limit myself to one or two.   I tend to get on kicks so one year everything was shades of coral and orange, another teal and turquoise and lately it's been rose and burgundy.   I've got a lot of clothing but it all doesn't necessarily blend together.   I just love color. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I do that too, I have been doing that for many years.  My bottoms; skirts, pants, are always black/gray/navy.  I have a lot of white tees, white tanks and white shirts.  Every season, I choose a color "family" for my cardigans, blazers and tops.  This winter it has been shades of blues and grays.  It's just easier to dress and to coordinate that way.  And I get wear more of my clothes. 

Valued Contributor

I am trying to keep all my bottoms in black, gray and navy.  I don't really like brown but I do have one pair of brown pants and a pair of light beige pants and khaki green pants.  As for tops, I try to get colors that will coordinate with all my bottoms, which is pretty easy since they are all neutral.  Although there are colors that I stay away from because they don't compliment my skin.  Hot pink and beige really make me look sallow. I have whittled down my wardrobe to only the things that I love to wear.  No more just wearing because it's in my closet.  

Trusted Contributor

My fall/winter wardrobe is centered around black and denim.  All my tops and jackets go with either jeans or black pants.  

By summer I am really tired of black, so when I move to the lakehouse for the summer  I don't take anything black with me.  At the lake I wear navy, khaki, and white bottoms with colorful tops.

I continue to try to simplify my wardrobe.  I want to own a variety of clothes, but not so many that my closets seem stuffed.  Limiting colors helps with that.  We do have four distinct seasons where I live, so "all season" clothes don't work for me.   

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

My fall/winter wardrobe is centered around black and denim.  All my tops and jackets go with either jeans or black pants.  

By summer I am really tired of black, so when I move to the lakehouse for the summer  I don't take anything black with me.  At the lake I wear navy, khaki, and white bottoms with colorful tops.

I continue to try to simplify my wardrobe.  I want to own a variety of clothes, but not so many that my closets seem stuffed.  Limiting colors helps with that.  We do have four distinct seasons where I live, so "all season" clothes don't work for me.   

I could almost have written this, save for a few details! I wear denim year-round in one form or another, mostly darker washes in winter, with more variety in the other three seasons.

For winter, everything is based on black/charcoal gray or ties back to it (outerwear, boots/shoes, handbags, etc.); the other three seasons, everything is based on navy (with white, khaki, and light gray as other neutrals, always tied to navy for shoes, handbags, prints, etc.). Black is, of course, fairly easy to find, and I shop a lot at Talbots, which always has a great selection of indigo (navy) clothing and accessories. I find shades of gray and burgundy/wine/red to be a nice bridge between all of my black things and all of my navy, as they can be worn with both dark bases.

We don't have four traditional seasons, but there is a wide temperature difference between summer (daytime temps of 100+ for most of it) and winter (40s and 50s, with freezing temps at night sometimes). So I, too, try to limit my wardrobe but still need everything from lightweight down and fleece for winter (I'm always cold) to clothing to help beat the heat in summer.

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler -  I can see by your avatar that you like blue and black shades.  Teehee.

My closet is a rainbow of pastels.  Variety is the spice of life!  No way I'm sticking to just two colors.  I avoid blacks, browns, and olives for tops.  They're icky with my hair and complexion. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I only wear black at night.  During the day it is color. 

Honored Contributor

I go the French route w/ black, white, grey and beige & my jeans...then I add pops of color w/ accessories. It's very easy to co-ordinate outfits because everything goes together. In the spring/summer, sweaters & heavier slacks get changed for tees, cotton sweaters and lighter weight slacks...also blouses.

Honored Contributor

It's about time that I buy white or vanilla pants/jeans.  It's never very warm/hot around here, and we don't vacation in significantly warmer weather climates anymore.  White was great to reflect the hot sunshine, as I recall.  Black, not so much.  It absorbs the sunshine, I believe. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).