Honored Contributor

update on my turn the hanger experiment

[ Edited ]

I posted a month or so ago that I was going to try turning the hanger around in my closet once I'd worn an item.  Out of habit, I'd been reaching for the same items over and over and passing by others.

Thought I'd update anyone who's interested.  It's going great.  I've done a really good job rotating my clothes and it's caused me to think every morning and LOOK and see what hasn't been worn yet and, in most cases, choose an item that hasn't made it through the rotation yet.

I think there's only been two times that I've picked a top that I'd worn recently.

I thought that having some of the hangers facing a different direction would "upset my sense of order", LOL, but it's been fine.  I'm glad I tried this.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

Re: update on my turn the hanger experiment

That is a good experiment. I think a lot of us subconsiously pick the same ones

over and over. When i wear a shirt and wash it, i will hang it up to the far right 

of all my shirts. Then next time i will take the first one on the left and keep rotating

that way. Left to right works great for me. Even if you organize by colors.

Respected Contributor

That's great.

I know I could never have hangers facing the wrong way in my closet.  LOL

I would have to put back on the right and take from the left or something. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri36 wrote:

That's great.

I know I could never have hangers facing the wrong way in my closet.  LOL

I would have to put back on the right and take from the left or something. 

@Bri36- I don't think I could do that. I have things arranged by color and have the "fancier" items on the left. Same thing as you- don't think I could stand the out of order. I really thought the hangers backwards would bother me. I love for my side of the closet to be really neat and organized. So far I'm ok with it. We'll see how I do for the long haul, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My hangers MUST all face the same way.

Trusted Contributor

I am happy that turning the hangars helps some of you. If I did that, I would definitely need therapy. LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Respected Contributor

I'm glad your experiment is working for you!

It's a shame to have pretty clothes and not wear all of them, a trap I've fallen into in the past. 

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of clothes, but I have some I seldom wear or haven't worn yet because if feel they are "too nice" to wear if I'm staying home--which I do a lot.   I have to start wearing more of my wardrobe.   I also tend to wear the same items a lot.

Honored Contributor

My late husband was obsessed about the hangers all facing the same way.   I'm not quite that bad.    Someone once told me you turn them in so in case of a fire you could grab an armful and run.   If my house was on fire the last thing I would think about is my clothes.

Anyway, I do rotate my clothes.   When I do laundry, I hang the clean clothes to the far left, when I get dressed, I choose from the far right.   If I find there is something I'm never choosing, it gets donated

Honored Contributor

I've heard of that method, I can see how it would work.  I've always had a lot of clothes and years ago,  I copied my sister's method for wearing the things I own.  I plan my outfits a week to ten days in advance.  I keep a notebook.  I plan my daily outfits from my top to my shoes to my handbag to my coat or jacket.  I even layout my jewelry for the week.  Sundays, I put all the pieces to my oufits on the same hanger.  I switch out my handbag on Sundays, but generally carry the same bag for 2 weeks.  It takes some effort but it makes getting dressed a breeze, grab and go.  And I wear the things I paid for.