Respected Contributor

Carolyn has stated on more than one occasion that she regularly donates items from her closet to keep it manageable. I don't believe she's given the clothing (except for maybe a TSV), but they do get a great discount. I know they are given other types of products in advance of presentations so they can try them out.

A couple of us have mentioned in the past that in a segment about the Q on another network, Lisa (I think) said they they are absolutely NOT allowed to say they own things that they don't own. You can believe it or not, but I tend to believe it. That is not to say that they purchased the items, but they do have them. Nor does that prohibit hosts from saying they are going to purchase something when they get off the air, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Although I believe Carolyn owns a lot of D&Co., I don't think she could own as much as she says. It's obvious the hosts are told to say they own the merchandise and in multiples, as they've discovered with research it pushes a sale. Particularly in the case of popular hosts, like Carolyn. Really, it's impossible to believe Carolyn owns that much, or that even some of the hosts would want the Q merchandise. 

Respected Contributor

If there is an item one really likes and a few outfits depend on it or you are comfortable in them , then multiples could be a good idea. I hate when I  think I am prepared to wear a certain outfit then go to my wardrobe and find one piece hasn't been laundered.

D & Co. is a favorite line for my lifestyle. Many of the items are not quite as pricey as other lines and I believe they are well made usually.

I like the quote from a comedian Stephen Wright that says "You can't have everything ... where would you put it ?"  That applies to everyone.

I would like to know /go to the thrift stores that end up with some of the hostesses donations though!Smiley LOL

When I watch presentations I just remember that they are sales people doing their jobs and I am a consumer doing mine.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think these hosts - esp the ones who have regular shows - are gifted these items by the company so they can say they own it and wear it. 

DENIM & CO.?   I seriously doubt it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I believe she owns whatever she says she owns.  It doesn't sway me to buy just because she says it.

Honored Contributor

I feel Carolyn is genuine. I like that she has or has tried the items she is selling. Like a great chef tastes his food, a salesman also needs to sample his wares. 

Trusted Contributor

@bewise

Haha I know what you mean!  Oh, by the way, did I tell you I own about four pair of How Comfy leggings as well as the Cord leggings from D&C!!!!

(True!) But you are absolutely right, it probably is part of the sales pitch.  At least it isn't as bad as Lori G. who says everything is Chic, fabulous, amazing multiple times with each article of clothing.

Respected Contributor

I know you were only making this point about one host because this was on a recent show you watched, but I've noticed most of them comment on items they own.  Whether that works as a motivation for you to purchase, or not, it may be of interest to another viewer.  I have no reason to doubt their claim, but I really don't care.  Most of that sales hype goes over my head anyway.  I'm focused on hearing product details to see if I want the item, and I move on. 

Honored Contributor

I would be extremely surprised if the hosts aren't given free things.  Why on earth wouldn't a company want to give them free stuff to enjoy when they sell thousands and thousands of pieces.  It is like companies that give employees cars to drive and such.  It isn't a huge expense but gives them a personal reference to talk about and sell the item.