Honored Contributor

Re: the dress over leggings look

@Mz iMac

Actually it's both. Remember they were one country at one time and the traditions been going on for centuries in many countries of the East.

I was just Googling some beautiful examples of it but it does beg the question to some of these posters.

If you see a woman, or a man for that matter, in this traditional garb do you tell them they look childish?

Honored Contributor

I see where you're going, but ladies have elevated leggings to a new level with shorter dresses and a sandle.  I think it looks great.  I look better in other styles, but they look cute!  Not much different from dark hose, really.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Mz iMac

Actually it's both. Remember they were one country at one time and the traditions been going on for centuries in many countries of the East.

I was just Googling some beautiful examples of it but it does beg the question to some of these posters.

If you see a woman, or a man for that matter, in this traditional garb do you tell them they look childish?

I have traveled a lot and to many different countries.  Women wear a long dress usually to their ankles with  long slits on the sides with slim or wide  pants under them that match. They are sold together as a traditional dress.

This is not the same look as leggings with a dress over them, it's not even close.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I disagree. It's a similar concept and it all depends on the dress or tunic you choose to wear over the leggings. I'm not talking about a frilly ruffled a line or baby doll necessarily and not everybody's wearing it that way so the blanket statement that it's childish is a very narrow view on the subject

Valued Contributor

I like this idea and I have worn it mostly in cold or cooler weather.

Valued Contributor

Some of the looks posted here are very trendy and fashionable others in my book don't work so well.

Honored Contributor

Hmmm so this style is back? I wore leggings under dresses and long tops years and years ago....about 20 years ago? I guess what goes around, comes around as they say. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I like tights under dresses or skirts, especailly with skirt, tights and shoes in the same color. It is a more visually appealing look.

Image result for black tights black dress

Image result for dress over leggings

Esteemed Contributor

Nope I do not like this look. I am too short to wear a dress over leggins.

Frequent Contributor

@lolakimono ... I like the top 2 pix on your initial post too. Other iterations of this look tend to skew very young ... At least on me. Plus proportion must be right.