Honored Contributor

Re: the Queen goes to church

@ms traditional wrote:

the Queen is a serious woman and has always dressed to be attractive,appropriate  - and to be low key. she has a job that commands respect and like many women, maybe she wants to be judged on her actions - not how off-the-runway her wardrobe is especially as she opens or speaks on behalf of a cause she cares for. it's the message, not the outfit. 

she grew up during the Depression and the royals were a strong part of the WWII effort when times were very difficult - never showy.  she would never be criticized for extravagance. i think the people appreciate that.

as others have said, i enjoy her use of color and hope it gives her a lift too!

@ms traditional  Well, yes she would.  Remember her Christmas speech when she got a flak for the gold-painted piano in the room she was sitting in?  People have criticized her for extravagance throughout her reign.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

the Queen is a serious woman and has always dressed to be attractive,appropriate  - and to be low key. she has a job that commands respect and like many women, maybe she wants to be judged on her actions - not how off-the-runway her wardrobe is especially as she opens or speaks on behalf of a cause she cares for. it's the message, not the outfit. 

she grew up during the Depression and the royals were a strong part of the WWII effort when times were very difficult - never showy.  she would never be criticized for extravagance. i think the people appreciate that.

as others have said, i enjoy her use of color and hope it gives her a lift too!

@ms traditional  Well, yes she would.  Remember her Christmas speech when she got a flak for the gold-painted piano in the room she was sitting in?  People have criticized her for extravagance throughout her reign.

@Pearlee   well of course there is always criticism from ignorance.  here is the history of that piano:

First purchased by Queen Victoria in 1856, the S & P Erard piano is made of mahogany, satinwood and pine, with brass and gilt bronze mounts, gilded and varnished.

According to the Royal Collection Trust,  the piano’s surface was “painted by François Rochard in polychrome colors with singeries and Berainesque motifs” with the “moldings and rim of the piano are bronze, chased and gilt.”

So go ahead and let her have it for extravagance -  Queen Victoria, that is.  she's a bit hard to be in touch with however. and i'm guessing that piano is worth much much more in 2019 than in 1856 so let's give her credit for her good investment while at it.

as for QEII   she is taking care of a treasured item in the Royal Collection Trust, much as she does the many priceless historical items at her palaces.

pshaw!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bless the Queen.  She always looks lovely fashion wise and her makeup.  Now that is what I call growing old gracefully.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength