Honored Contributor

Re: the Queen goes to church

I wouldn't be surprised if she carries mace for protection. The SAS  routinely trains the family ,how to react in cases of abduction. I have a friend who is retired military, and he told me about the drills they are given

Respected Contributor

the Queen is a serious woman and has always dressed to be attractive,appropriate  - and to be low key. she has a job that commands respect and like many women, maybe she wants to be judged on her actions - not how off-the-runway her wardrobe is especially as she opens or speaks on behalf of a cause she cares for. it's the message, not the outfit. 

she grew up during the Depression and the royals were a strong part of the WWII effort when times were very difficult - never showy.  she would never be criticized for extravagance. i think the people appreciate that.

as others have said, i enjoy her use of color and hope it gives her a lift too!

Respected Contributor

There is a book coming out this month about the women who worked on the Queen`s wedding dress.  The lace making and sewing. It was a feat I understand to get all the materials as just after the WWII during rationing. I believe the women who were the seamstresses were Canadian.  

Honored Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ, well, thank you for that, very interesting.  

But I won't be carrying my handbag to my front porch when I greet visitors.

@JGalt. I only explained what I had seen on a tv show about why the Queen carries a purse. 

Honored Contributor

Whatever you think of the monarchy, there is no one who has worked harder or taken her "job" more seriously than the Queen.

Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ, yes, and I appreciate the information which is why I thanked you.

Honored Contributor

I read that he is not making appearances and is in frail health, so I am sure attending church requires too much physical effort for him
Honored Contributor

It looks like she has a blanket bee her lap due to the cold....how lovely to have someone come cover you up with a blanket or throw after you are seated.....
Honored Contributor

I am sure she has staff that dresses her and cleans, presses, and manages her wardrobe....
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Yes, she does look nice.  Her schedule:   I doubt she's under much stress.  To church - afternoon tea - a nap?  - dress for dinner.  She's not involved in government issues - does received updates.....lovely lady but have different opinion.

(meals prepared, clothes cleaned & pressed - etc.)

@fthunt  I found this about her morning schedule:  

Rising at around 8.30 am, Her Majesty is greeted by the sounds of the bagpipes each morning at nine, as a piper plays on the terrace beneath her apartment at Buckingham Palace. She usually takes a bath before having breakfast in her apartment alone, and it is usually Cornflakes or Special K cereal and fresh or dried fruit. At Christmas, when she usually receives truffles as a gift, The Queen will have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a grating of truffle as a festive treat.

Starting the day out with the formalities before any of the fun starts, The Queen takes her time to read the daily newspapers, catching up with the latest goings on in the world – she is Head of State of 16 governments, and leader of the Commonwealth of 53 nations, and so it is important to stay abreast of world news.

Then it’s down to the ‘fan mail’, as it might be called: Her Majesty can receive over 300 letters from the public every single day, and she makes it her personal mission to choose a few which she would like to reply to each morning, usually taking a random sample. The ones she doesn’t have time to reply to personally are answered by a lady-in-waiting, who is given instructions on how the replies are to be written.

Once the letters are dealt with, it’s then time to open the contents of the famous ‘Red Boxes’, sent up by Her Majesty’s Private Secretaries. These are full of important letters, such as Cabinet documents, telegrams and state papers, which The Queen must read, approve and sign. They are sent to The Queen each and every day, wherever she is: the only day she has off from her red boxes is Christmas Day.  She does more in a morning than many much younger women do in a day.