Respected Contributor

Re: the Queen addresses Parliament

@cherry wrote:

Does she always wear white on this occasion?

@cherry i don't know if she always does when in full regalia - but one year, recently, she arrived in street dress of blue to make her address. i understand that was due to timing after a snap election.

Esteemed Contributor

@lmt 

I'd have thought they would not have been allowed to bring phones in to the ceremony.

You've just got to wonder what could be so important! Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

The George IV State Diadem

The gold and silver frame is decorated with 1,333 diamonds weighing a total of 320 carats, including a four-carat yellow diamond in the front cross pattée. Along the base are two strings of pearls. Originally, the upper string had 86 pearls and the lower 94, but they were changed to 81 and 88 in 1902. Instead of the heraldic fleurs-de-lis usually seen on British crowns, the diadem has four bouquets of roses, thistles and shamrocks, the floral symbols of England, Scotland and Ireland respectively, alternating with four crosses pattée around the top of its base.

It is worn only for official occasions, such as the State Opening. Queen Elizabeth wore the diadem in the procession to her coronation in 1953.

Image result for george vi diadem

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@lmt 

I'd have thought they would not have been allowed to bring phones in to the ceremony.

You've just got to wonder what could be so important! Cat Happy

@Witchy Woman  Right?!

I was really surprised to see this. 

I wonder if once the ceremony starts are they asked not to take pictures and to put their phones away. Kinda like the announcement they make in the movie theaters when they ask you to silence your phone, LOL!!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I love looking at these photos. 

She looks amazing. 

Honored Contributor

That is one of my favorite memories, visiting the mews. I was surprised you could go right up to the carriages. And there were a few uniforms hung up on some of the walls. So you could see how well they were made and what first rate material they were.

You could not go up to the horses. Which I understand, it was after the Hyde Park and Regent's Park bombing.  

And some of the soldiers and their families also live there. And it was a memory, I wish I had recorded. A young girl about 4 and dressed in a charming dress, ran up to her friends house. She was all excited. And she said in her British accent, "Can (I forgot the other girl's name) come to my house for tea?"

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

That is one of my favorite memories, visiting the mews. I was surprised you could go right up to the carriages. And there were a few uniforms hung up on some of the walls. So you could see how well they were made and what first rate material they were.

You could not go up to the horses. Which I understand, it was after the Hyde Park and Regent's Park bombing.  

And some of the soldiers and their families also live there. And it was a memory, I wish I had recorded. A young girl about 4 and dressed in a charming dress, ran up to her friends house. She was all excited. And she said in her British accent, "Can (I forgot the other girl's name) come to my house for tea?"

@drizzellla   what a nice memory and insight!

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I love looking at these photos. 

She looks amazing. 

@Bri369   all the pomp and regalia - i love it!  it ties the present to the past. England has such a long and fascinating history, warts and all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She mentioned on one of the spcials about the Queen (maybe when she turned 90?) that that crown was quite heavy to wear

Honored Contributor

It never ceases to amaze me after viewing such beauty and tradition that some people can still voice the words "do away with the Monarchy and its family." 

Long live the Queen.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."