Honored Contributor

texture + print: What's YOUR take?

It's one thing for a single garment to have print and texture like lace, crochet, pintucking, etc. but when it comes to mixing a print piece with a textured piece I'm hesitant to do so. While obviously it's case by case the general rule 'if it's tonal it's okay' I don't agree with!

To me texture works alot like print and it's just as hard to mix.

How do you see it?

Honored Contributor

Re: texture + print: What's YOUR take?

I don't over think things like that.  I don't analyze things like that.  I just buy what I like.  Mixed prints don't appeal to me, I wouldn't even look a presentation of something like that.

Respected Contributor

I like stand alone design for my tastes in those items (for the most part) . Lately I have seen designs where there is a little bit of all on one item. This is alright as it saves me money. Especially in the summer I like my clothes fairly simple and tonal with maybe one highlight. 

We all learned in kindergarten that if you mix all of the colors together in the paint tray what you get is blah. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

You don't care if your top matches your bottoms?

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay 

Perhaps I need to be more clear.I'm referring to mixing a print top or bottom with a textured (tonal) top or bottom (no print).

I hear 'stylists' say because the textured item is all one color, or tonal, then it matches easily to a solid or print piece. I don't see it that way...

Honored Contributor

I wore a LOGO striped shirt with pintucking today. I have a couple like that.

For me it would have to be on a case-by-case basis.  

I'm really, really fussy about prints ... absolutely no florals or ditzy prints and most of all those awful "no-prnt-prints."

I'm not so fussy about texture.

Respected Contributor

I agree. It gets too busy.

@Andreatoo wrote:

It's one thing for a single garment to have print and texture like lace, crochet, pintucking, etc. but when it comes to mixing a print piece with a textured piece I'm hesitant to do so. While obviously it's case by case the general rule 'if it's tonal it's okay' I don't agree with!

To me texture works alot like print and it's just as hard to mix.

How do you see it?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo  I guess one must just experiment .I can do that in a brick & mortar store but do not want to do it when sh&h charges are involved.Sometimes one needs to try something on and look at it under good lights.

I believe on shopping channels the line is thin between 'stylists' and salesperson wanting to announce that 'number of items sold just now.' Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wear a solid tonal textured top with a printed bottom, but either the texture or print is subtle, or both are subtle. What I dislike is when they throw several trends on one garment. I saw a top once that had ruffles, mixed textiles, floral print, asymmetry, and I forgot what else. IMO it was overkill. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo 

Sometimes there is too much print plus texture for me even in a single item - a lot of One World tops come to mind. They are just too busy. 

Mixing can can be done but, for me, it needs to be small amounts and subtle.