Respected Contributor

Re: strong fabric softener smell???

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Bhvbum  Personally, I would not want my clothes smelling from vinegar.  I have read that it is used.  There are other detergents that the OP may have luck with.  I Googled it because I was curious.

Adding a 1/2 cup of white vinegar with the detergent when you wash your clothes gets rid of any odors that tend to stick to the clothes. This trick also helps rid laundry of cigarette smell. Wash your clothes as you usually do, but add 1 cup of white vinegarto the final rinse. There is no vinegar odor.

Honored Contributor

Some clothes seem to have a weird smell and I've noticed it primarily when I buy a new bra.  I use white vinegar in the wash and do a 2nd rinse.  If not, I do it again and the smell is always gone.  I never have any leftover vinegar smell.

You can get a detergent that removes odor but I found it often takes 3 washes with it to get the smell out.

Be careful about what else you use as it could strip color or damage the fabric.

Honored Contributor

@alohakz wrote:

anybody have suggestions on how to get a strong smell of fabric softener out of a top?

airing it out hasn't helped much...& i even washed it again but still smell it...

thanks in advanceSmiley Happy

couple of washes and hang outside

dont' use the dryer. will set the smell even more 

and fabric softener smell is very strong, 

Honored Contributor

I've pretty much gotten away from using fabric softener, but when I do it's Downy Free and Gentle.  Look for the white bottle, just as you would when buying fragrance free detergent from any brand.

Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I've pretty much gotten away from using fabric softener, but when I do it's Downy Free and Gentle.  Look for the white bottle, just as you would when buying fragrance free detergent from any brand.

I would never use fabric softeners...you're adding more chemicals...I use detergents that are free and clear too..I LOVE Nellies, I get that at HSN! Woman Wink

Valued Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I would never use fabric softeners...you're adding more chemicals...I use detergents that are free and clear too..I LOVE Nellies, I get that at HSN! Woman Wink

I quit using fabric softeners years ago and I don't miss it. I read an article about how harmful the chemicals are. I also use free and clear detergents.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped using liquid fabric softener in the washer and those sheets in the dryer 11 years ago. I read that it's not necessary and clogs the machines. I put some baking soda and/or vinegar in the washer.

Trusted Contributor

update:  so far 2 washes in the machine with the added vinegar but i still smell it a little bit...i have it out in the sun now...& then will try a third wash with the vinegar

ps-i NEVER use detergents with scents or fabric softener...i find the smell repulsive...a friend borrowed the top & unfortunately used the most putrid smelling stuff on earthSmiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

'Around here', the strong dryer sheet odors emitting from houses is downright nauseating.  

Not only to me, but to some of my walking/bicycling friends and neighbors.  

'Still', I just don't know how the babies/youngsters are able to breath well, being exposed to all of those odors/scents on their clothing and bed sheets and pillowcases..........

I guess they have become 'used to it'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).