Honored Contributor

@151949  The age 69 and the term "matronly" do not have to be synonyms.  I'm sure you look great and comfortable in your own skin and fashion choices.  If you like sleeves on maxi dresses, more power to you.  They just do not look good on me, and I do not dress like anything I am not -- I am in my mid-fifties.  My sister is 65 and goes sleeveless most of the summer, even in her maxi dresses (I know because she asks me to find her clothes she may like every season).  She looks great and is comfortable in her skin also.  

Honored Contributor

@sol_luna  You would probably look fantastic in this dress!!

My arms are okaaaaaaaay, they are not what I'd call very toned.  But they are fine and I feel good with what I've got.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

I've always thought knit maxi dresses look too warm for summer. I live in a desert climate and in my city, I can't imagine a place where crops or shorts are forbidden.

It can reach 120 degrees here, so our dress, is by necessity, casual. My typical outfit for a night out would be knee length shorts, a nice top and wedge sandals. 

That seems very appropriate but since I can't wear shorts to work, I don't wear shorts period.   A dress can take me anywhere, casual or more formal.    

Respected Contributor

@lolakimonowrote:

http://www.qvc.com/Kelly-by-Clinton-Kelly-Regular-Printed-Maxi-Dress.product.A290530.html

Kelly by Clinton Kelly Regular Printed Maxi Dress - A290530

I ordered this dress, last Summer and it was so unflattering on me.  I wear size medium and it made me look two sizes larger.  The print was nice, but the style didn't work for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: sleeveless dresses

[ Edited ]

@software @shoesnbags @Caaareful Shopper @sol_luna  Those of us in middle-America also love skirts and dresses instead of slacks or maxi-dresses. The air circulates under the fabric and is so cooling! Plus, we always look so nice and are ready to go into any venue! Works for me.

I'm 70, tall and slender. Still swim M-W-F and walk the other days. I've been a Master Gardener for decades, working in my own flower beds and volunteering with the City's Park Dept. to help plant many of the public flower beds. I'm still young at heart and in great physical shape; not trying to appear 39 (have never died my hair or had any "procedures" done). My arms may be beginning to age (have a couple of sun spots near my left wrist), but I'm not about to give up my cap sleeves yet!

BTW: Shrugs look matronly to me. Smiley Embarassed 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

Re: sleeveless dresses

[ Edited ]
C@151949wrote:

IMO about 90% of the summer dresses I see on QVC are sleeveless. Where I live anyway, most women don't want to wear sleeveless and so either don't buy them or wear something over them like a denim jacket or a shrug. However, in the summer it's too hot here in Fl. to wear a jacket or shrug. I just would like to see more maxi dresses with a cap sleeve or short sleeve.

@151949

In the summer, I love to wear off shoulder or halter top dresses.  Without a jacket or cover up.

My  fav halter top dress

Honored Contributor

I'm considering buying this midi; I would wear it with a little crocheted shrub (sorry, @BirkiLady :-)) or cropped jean jacket:

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@BirkiLadywrote:

@software @shoesnbags @Caaareful Shopper @sol_luna  Those of us in middle-America also love skirts and dresses instead of slacks or maxi-dresses. The air circulates under the fabric and is so cooling! Plus, we always look so nice and are ready to go into any venue! Works for me.

I'm 70, tall and slender. Still swim M-W-F and walk the other days. I've been a Master Gardener for decades, working in my own flower beds and volunteering with the City's Park Dept. to help plant many of the public flower beds. I'm still young at heart and in great physical shape; not trying to appear 39 (have never died my hair or had any "procedures" done). My arms may be beginning to age (have a couple of sun spots near my left wrist), but I'm not about to give up my cap sleeves yet!

BTW: Shrugs look matronly to me. Smiley Embarassed 

I agree. I'm NOT a fan of shrugs.