Trusted Contributor

qvc designer 'table top dressing'???

i heard susan graver use the term 'table drop dressing' today on one of her presentations....i thought another qvc designer (maybe george simonton or louis d'ollio)

was the one who 'coined' that term...anybody remember who originally said it?

Honored Contributor

Re: qvc designer 'table topIdressing'???

I remember Simonton using that phrase frequently.

Honored Contributor

Its "table TOP dressing".  What you see when you're sitting at a table.  Who knows where it originated?  Probably not with anyone at QVC.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This is what news anchors often do. They sit behind a desk, wear a nice blouse and jacket but may be wearing jeans and tennies from the waist down.

Regular Contributor

Re: qvc designer 'table top dressing'???

First designer that I heard use that phrase on QVC was Bob Mackie. This was many years ago.

Trusted Contributor

i put table top dressing in the title...'drop' auto-corrected in message...anyway...if there's any non-rude person who remembers which qvc designer was the first to use the term(Not susan graver)...not sure if it was george s or bob mackie...thanks(to the kind responders)Smiley Tongue

Trusted Contributor

thanks fleetwoodSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Vogue wrote about "'waist-up dressing". Said it was a thing started in the 1930's when newspapers would post articles about people with pictures showing them from the waist up. So it became important to look good from the waist up in the public eye.

Honored Contributor

@alohakz wrote:

i heard susan graver use the term 'table drop dressing' today on one of her presentations....i thought another qvc designer (maybe george simonton or louis d'ollio)

was the one who 'coined' that term...anybody remember who originally said it?

@alohakz 

That term is probably close to 100 years old, coined before WW2. 

It really doesn't matter which vendor at QVC said it first;  they didn't invent the term.

Honored Contributor

I recall Simonton using that expression.

I’ve noticed over the years SG adopts expressions and styles that others have used. As she has stated over several occasions - she Graverizes them.