Honored Contributor

Spirit Week is coming up, and one of the days is twin day.  Two years ago, a 6th grader and I dressed like "twins", and for fun I bought a wig at Party City to replicate her hair.  She had another teacher that year, who is across the hall from me, and we invited her to form triplets.  The other teacher and I have continued the tradition during spirit week, but this year we are upping our game.  She has a limited wardrobe, with a kid in high school and a kid in college, not much discretionary fashion spending available.  She usually starts with what she has (black pants, white shirt, or whatever) and then I confirm that I also have those items.  This year we decided that we would go to Kohl's after school one day to spend her 30% off coupon and find outfits in real time shopping.  

We have similar hair, eye, and skin coloring, but physically we are built very differently.  Just for fun, last Sunday I perused the Kohl's site looking for things that came in sizes that we would both fit into, with reasonable prices.  I also wanted things that we could wear at other times, either to school or on the weekends, and basic pieces that we could recombine for future twin days.  I texted her photos of the items, and we decided to order online.

We found this jacket, from Chaps-

This Sonoma tank-

and these Chaps jeans-

I was able to find the jeans in store, so I tried them on and purchased them on Sunday.  The tank and jacket I ordered online.  The tank was too big, but was not available in a smaller size, so I altered it myself.  The jacket should arrive this weekend.

She is not as "fancy" as I am, and what she doesn't know is that I also ordered us accessories.  We are going to wear navy shoes, so I bought us these socks, from Jockey-

I bought two of these Mudd stretch bracelets, but one arrived damaged so I returned it in store and had to order another online.  It has not arrived yet.

I also ordered a long turtle pendant for us, which has not arrived.

We will probably just wear the bracelet this twin day, and save the turtle for the next one.

Our 6th grader is now in 8th grade, so I am excited to see if she notices our "stepped up" twin outfits.  Cat Happy

Fingers crossed that everything fits when it arrives, for both of us!

Honored Contributor

I think you will be best dressed twins.I thought it was sweet that you bought some surprises for your twin to dress up the outfit.She is lucky to have your help getting great fashion for a good price.I hope you both have fun twinnning.

Honored Contributor

@dex

Her dad has been very ill, with a degenerative condition and  comorbidity , and he is in another state.  She tries to go back once a month or so to help rotate the care with her two sisters.  

If you look up "sandwich generation" she is the classic definition.  

I became acquainted with her about four years ago when I was assigned to her as a testing buddy, whose job it was to get all of the computers up and running and logged in for the "high stakes" testing.

Later, I had to move rooms, and I was located right across the hall, so she was designated as my "emergency" buddy; when we have drills or other alarms, we are supposed to check and verify that each has evacuated the building.  

She teaches another subject, and so we have opposite schedules, but we are both early birds.  She drives about an hour to work each day but it still there at 7, and often times stays later so I see her then as well.

Recently her mother-in-law moved in to their house, because she is not able to reliably take care of herself.  (I think there was a substance abuse problem, and she is in recovery?)  Her brother-in-law is single, and lives next door, but for some reason is unwilling to house his mother, so everything falls onto her shoulders.

I feel like she is stretched very thin, and so if this brings a little bit of joy for one day, I am glad to be a part of it.Cat Happy

Of course, many of our students will not notice when we are standing together in the hall that we are dressed alike, but about five months from now, when one of us is wearing the jacket/jeans/tank/bracelet/necklace, a student will probably say "Mrs. X has a jacket like that too!".  Cat Surprised

Honored Contributor

Hi Good Morning Girls!

@lolakimono LOVE your twins' outfit. There's nothing here I wouldn't have in my own closet. You know I love kohl's and just got in the mail 3 tops (returning one waffle, way thin fabric). And you are so thoughtful picking up the accessories as we all know you do finishing touches oh so well!!!

You can find so much more online at kohl's too. I peruse their sight often. I'm looking for a few casual long sleeve tops now w/weather changes ahead pre-heaavier sweaters. One I bought is a nice 3/4 sleeve in red, the other very small ruffle down placket long sleeves. Cute both. May need another.

Don't know what's in store for this wkend here. We have a by in football so the Buckeyes are probably watching other games today especially Penn St who we play here next weekend.

Nice weather here this week, falling leaves everywhere. I know that'll be on the list, maybe some bulb planting too. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono That poor woman does have a lot of stress.I hope that she has a wonderful day twinning with you.I think you are a very thoughtful person and she is fortunate to have your support.

It will be interesting to see how often the two of you show up dressed in that jacket on the same day.It looks really cute and versatile.....think it would work with just about anything.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Twinning" at Work

[ Edited ]

We just had Spirit Week at our school 2 weeks ago.  Our students really get into it, as well as the teachers.

Love what you picked out!  

Our Yearbook Advisor gets everyone together to take a picture for the yearbook.

When I worked in corporate, there was a Dress Barn in a shopping center close to the office.  The day after payday, there were a lot of "twins" throughout our building.  Except that was not planned!

Have fun with it!

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  This post says a lot about you.......generous, caring and fun loving.  Your "twin" is blessed to have you as a friend and it sounds as if you are receiving something special from this friendship also.  Have fun!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

We just had Spirit Week at our school 2 weeks ago.  Our students really get into it, as well as the teachers.

Love what you picked out!  

Our Yearbook Advisor gets everyone together to take a picture for the yearbook.

Have fun with it!

@roeroe1005

We had our picture taken when we were triplets, but I don't know if it made the final cut for yearbook.  Cat Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Re: "Twinning" at Work

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@dex

Her dad has been very ill, with a degenerative condition and  comorbidity , and he is in another state.  She tries to go back once a month or so to help rotate the care with her two sisters.  

If you look up "sandwich generation" she is the classic definition.  

I became acquainted with her about four years ago when I was assigned to her as a testing buddy, whose job it was to get all of the computers up and running and logged in for the "high stakes" testing.

Later, I had to move rooms, and I was located right across the hall, so she was designated as my "emergency" buddy; when we have drills or other alarms, we are supposed to check and verify that each has evacuated the building.  

She teaches another subject, and so we have opposite schedules, but we are both early birds.  She drives about an hour to work each day but it still there at 7, and often times stays later so I see her then as well.

Recently her mother-in-law moved in to their house, because she is not able to reliably take care of herself.  (I think there was a substance abuse problem, and she is in recovery?)  Her brother-in-law is single, and lives next door, but for some reason is unwilling to house his mother, so everything falls onto her shoulders.

I feel like she is stretched very thin, and so if this brings a little bit of joy for one day, I am glad to be a part of it.Cat Happy

Of course, many of our students will not notice when we are standing together in the hall that we are dressed alike, but about five months from now, when one of us is wearing the jacket/jeans/tank/bracelet/necklace, a student will probably say "Mrs. X has a jacket like that too!".  :catsurprised

@lolakimono

Lola, I swear you have got to be one of the nicest people I've ever 'met' and not just because of this thread/post either!

You're always so kind and helpful to others!Heart

Just wondering if the house next door to yours is vacant, I'd love to be your neighbor, LOL!

(edited for typo)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

This thread speaks volumes as to the kind of friend you are.  What a generous thing to do. When someone is pulled in so many difficult directions, the little niceties you are doing will probably have far more impact than you will ever know.  

You are a true friend!  💕💕💕

If you are so inclined, it would be fun to see a picture--chopping your heads off, of course! 😁