Honored Contributor

👖"Mom Jeans" Are Making a Comeback! 😮

According to this article in the NY Post, "Mom Jeans," which were popular in the late '80s and into the '90s, are being worn by young non-mom celebrities, such as Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid, who are making them fashionable again. Will you wear them? I don't think l will.

This brings to mind the hilarious Saturday Night Live skit:

IMG_0514.GIF

Here's the article:

How Mom Jeans, that disgrace to denim, made their triumphant comeback
By Rachelle Bergstein May 7, 2018 | 5:04pm

You know them when you see them — the sky-high waist, the ballooning hips, the generous thighs that taper down to a snug ankle.

They’re Mom Jeans, plain and simple. And until recently, they were dismissed as an old-fashioned, unflattering style that only a mother could love.

No longer. The jeans — once lampooned in an unforgettable 2003 “Saturday Night Live” sketch — are back, embraced by svelte, sexy celebs including bona-fide mamas Sienna Miller and Kourtney Kardashian, as well as child-free starlets such as Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid.

Searches for “Mom Jeans” are up 105 percent since last year, according to global fashion-search platform Lyst. They’ve officially outpaced the hunt for skinnies with online shoppers in New York and California.

Even Levi’s is getting in on the action: The brand debuted a new take on the dowdy denim shape in March. Jill Guenza, global VP of women’s design at Levi’s, describes the fit on their new Mom Jeans — yes, that’s what they’re called — as “familiar, yet so ‘now.’ ”

The Mom Jeans renaissance is upon us.

“One of the reasons that these jeans are back in style is that they’re very ’90s,” Jessica Morgan, co-creator of the snarky celebrity-style blog Go Fug Yourself, tells The Post. “So they are sort of retro and entertaining to the people who are wearing them.”

She thinks that wearers — even slim, leggy, conventionally beautiful ones — aren’t rocking them because they think they look good: “It’s that fashion thing where people wear things that are intentionally ugly because they’re interesting,” Morgan says.

Amy Leverton, a trend forecaster and author of “Denim: Street Style, Vintage, Obsession,” points out that so-called Mom Jeans — with “the high, nipped-in waist and roomy butt, thighs and hips, then a taper, done in stonewash or acid wash” — weren’t always such a joke.

When the look first made an appearance in the late 1980s, it was a reference to the “starlet silhouettes” seen on curvaceous ladies such as Marilyn Monroe, explains Leverton. “The style was modernized in a very different way, but the attitude was definitely this pinup sort of vibe,” she tells The Post.

The now-divisive denim cut was also a reaction to the skin-tight, straight-legged style that Brooke Shields modeled in that infamous 1980 Calvin Klein ad. It was instantly adopted by a bottle-blonde singer who fancied herself the Monroe of her generation: Madonna.

By the early 1990s, It girls such as Winona Ryder, Drew Barrymore and Shannen Doherty had wholeheartedly embraced the trend.

Then, in the mid-to-late ’90s, the pendulum swung yet again. The legs and cuffs on pants widened, denim rises precipitously dropped, and by the end of that decade, the only women left wearing the roomy, high-rise styles were suburban women with kids.

Leverton says she first started seeing the trend’s resurgence in Europe around 2010, soon after the Internet cruelly lampooned Jessica Simpson, who was photographed in a dark-wash, high-waisted pair at a January 2009 performance in Florida.

Since then, body positivity has come into fashion, and Morgan opines that the growing popularity of Mom Jeans is actually good news for women.

“This style isn’t just for the thin and beautiful,” she says. “It’s for anyone with the right attitude: that she doesn’t care what you think about her jeans.”

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: 👖"Mom Jeans" Are Making a Comeback! 😮

God forbid!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh no no no...Not in my house they're not!  Most unflattering jean e-vaaa'. Nix. No. Neva!  

Respected Contributor

I never wore them and never will....

Honored Contributor

Comeback?  I didn't know they'd been gone, and indeed they haven't from my closet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@handygal2

Every style ALWAYS comes back around.  😏

Honored Contributor

@handygal2

Holly Taylor in “mom jeans” starring in the tv series “The Americans.”

C3A27C98-4FA9-47C5-8E2A-3307F039B711.jpeg

2C90D195-C7BF-421E-9512-56D3A8A5CF15.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Haha!  That skit was hilarious!

About a year ago we were watching videos of the kids when they were young.  One was of a birthday party for my 3 year old son at the time.  (1991) .

Kids were running around outside having a great time.  My DH who was the photographer caught me along with some of my "Mom" friends chatting and guess what?!!!  ......we were all wearing those "mom" jeans!  OMG!  Plus I was a lot thinner then but those jeans were just so awful looking....we all had a great laugh!

If I hadn't seen the video I would have said that there was no way I ever wore those! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I never wore them and never will....

@fourpaws56 LOL!  Are you sure? Smiley Happy

Just kidding...I never thought that I did until I saw myself wearing them in a video.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ummmm...not on this body!  (If you are very thin and if you kinda squint your eyes, they sort of look like boyfriend jeans and if you don't look too hard they might be passable.....that's a lot of ifs.)  But if you are comfy and love 'em...ride that pony!