Honored Contributor

Re: "Lost weight dress"

[ Edited ]

I don't care for this dress but absolutely it does work.  There are a lot of things done with the placement of prints, color blocking and seaming to make one appear thinner than they are. Most people don't want something that is going to make them look bigger.

That's why the size of pockets and the placement of them is so important on jeans.  Just another illusion to make the butt look lifted and smaller.

Respected Contributor

I actually like these dresses.  You would have to have an hour glass figure to pull it off.  I don't think you could be too busty or thick in the waist.  Also not flattering on someone with junk going on the in midriff area.  Spanx can only do so much.  Frankly, I kind of get tired of the "makes you look five pounds thinner" sales pitch.  Most women know when they look in the mirror what not to wear. 

Honored Contributor

These are just ok IMO. I have a better lost weight dress. Mine is ponte knit with black down the sides and a grey center panel front and back. I use a wide black belt to give it a waist.  I wear it with black knee length boots & tights. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of this style. To me, it looks like it's made from the same fabric as workout clothes. I think it's too clingy to be slimming, and the patterned panels need to be more subdued, IMO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

I am not a fan of this gimmick.  Wearing the outline of a smaller dress does not make you look like you are the size of the smaller dress.  (Kind of like the the oversized white T-shirts that have a picture of a perfect bikini-clad body on them.)

Plus, when I was a kid, there were fat people who used to split their pants down the sides and sew in panels of fabric to make them bigger.  This style always reminds me of this.  Like you outgrew your print dress, so you inserted some dark panels at the side to make it fit, and you don't think anybody will notice. 

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Trusted Contributor

@SHIRAZ wrote:

I am not a fan of this gimmick.  Wearing the outline of a smaller dress does not make you look like you are the size of the smaller dress.  (Kind of like the the oversized white T-shirts that have a picture of a perfect bikini-clad body on them.)

Plus, when I was a kid, there were fat people who used to split their pants down the sides and sew in panels of fabric to make them bigger.  This style always reminds me of this.  Like you outgrew your print dress, so you inserted some dark panels at the side to make it fit, and you don't think anybody will notice. 

ITA! Major gimmick.

Honored Contributor

I probably would not even try it on because I do not want to buy or wear something called "lost weight dress."

Designers use little tricks like this all the time. They always have. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know how much thinner it will make you look, but I think it is a cute dress!  I have seen this same tactic used in some bathing suits.  I guess it might work a little -- an optical illusion, sort of!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, AND ENTITLED TO MAKE CHOICES FOR OURSELVES BASED ON OUR OWN PERSONAL TASTE.

I like the style and fabric of this dress. If I needed a dress, I might buy one. I find that A-Line skirts and dresses look neat and comfortable on me. 

It is not my job nor anyone else's to insult the choices another woman makes. 

It's also no woman's responsibility to pay attention to anyone else's comments about personal clothing choices, especially if the comments are embellished with perjorative language.

Live and let live, enjoy what you enjoy, be proud of your choices, be willing to share positive ideas and thoughts with others.

Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, AND ENTITLED TO MAKE CHOICES FOR OURSELVES BASED ON OUR OWN PERSONAL TASTE.

I like the style and fabric of this dress. If I needed a dress, I might buy one. I find that A-Line skirts and dresses look neat and comfortable on me. 

It is not my job nor anyone else's to insult the choices another woman makes. 

It's also no woman's responsibility to pay attention to anyone else's comments about personal clothing choices, especially if the comments are embellished with perjorative language.

Live and let live, enjoy what you enjoy, be proud of your choices, be willing to share positive ideas and thoughts with others.

And we are all ENTITLED to give OUR opinions on fashion, beauty, etc., positive and negative.