Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Leggings Are the New Denim"

I wear jeggings and find them very flattering. I wear jeggings that have a zipper and a button. I do not wear any elastic waste or pull up ones because they do not hang right. Also, I have found that if you wear elastic waste pants you tend to think you are thinner than you are. I have lost 55 lbs and will never wear elastic waste again. I didn't realize how big I got. Also, I wear long tunic tops over the jeggings and it has a very slimming effect. I wear shoes that match the jeggings so they do not break up the look. I would not wear leggings because I do have celluite and it would show. I have seen women wear leggings that are so unflattering because they are so tight they should not be wearing them. I have seen ones that are so tight you can see everything on their backside. It makes me wonder if people even bother to look into the mirror. I am 70 years old and I like to dress stylish and clothing that flatters my figure. I am 5'1" and petite.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated   OK - you wear jeggings but say you would not wear leggings because they show your cellulite. Do I have that correct? And what exaxctly is the difference between the 2?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is all about how you wear them and style them. Also they only look good on certain body types. Tall thin people can make them look great with the right type of top. Most people I see though should not be wearing them. They are chunky and they will wear shorter tops with them. But a pear of leggings with s tunic sweater and boots can look pretty awesome if you have the right body.

Esteemed Contributor

I wear jeggings that are made of denim. Leggings are more form fitting and to me you have to have the right body shape to wear them.

Respected Contributor

Leggings worn by many are a very clear reminder to me that not everyone is beautiful on the outside, in spite of any agenda to have us  believe so. Just like "saying something a bunch of times does not make it so", neither does wearing it on a bunch of different bodies make it acceptable for all.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am confused the writer of the article is inferring that yoga pants and leggings are the same thing and to most people they are not at all the same.

I was thinking the same thing reading it. Yoga pants aren't leggings. I'm not on the east coast, I very rarely see anyone out in yoga pants and even if they do, I really don't care. 

The author seems like she's just lamenting moving back to "the 'burb's" using her term and not staying in perfect fabulous NYC. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

They aren't denim they are a knit fabric that just looks like denim.

@elated wrote:

I wear jeggings that are made of denim. Leggings are more form fitting and to me you have to have the right body shape to wear them.

Respected Contributor

Speaking of "looking like" something, my newer faux leather purchases has this leather loving woman changing her mind. Low cost have lead me to my most recent purchases. Throwing caution to the wind, I bought three pairs of these, in dark blue, wine, and coffee brown. Hope to get some wear out of them this winter down here. Again personal choices.

NavyLthrLeggings.jpg

Respected Contributor

I made a decision this winter to wear leggings with boots.  All different heights of boots.  I also add the leg sweaters in really cold temps.  Love them, and get tons of compliments on how great I look.  My long slim legs looks better in leggings than jeans.  I think everyone should wear what flatters them.  I have to admit, I am seeing so many women in leggings these days, and most I see look good.  So glad more seem to be getting the hang of how to properly wear leggings.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat  Not sure where you live, but in my city very few, like 5% of women look well enough in leggings to wear them in public. I work out, run & wear a size 4 & I wouldn't be caught dead in them except in the gym (where they belong) or at home w/ a huge sweatshirt for lounging....and then only if I'm darn sure not even the UPS man is expected at the door. Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you and your eyes can too. I've looked in the mirror wearing a certain outfit & thought I looked great. I have received plenty of compliments during the day until I met a true friend who looked at me and said "What the he-l were you thinking?" That friend's opinion is the one you trust, not just anyone giving you compliments. Leggings are best worn by ballerinas, Victoria Secret models and little girls under age 10. If you fit into any of those categories, enjoy your leggings with boots, platform heels, cropped tops, it doesn't matter.