Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Leggings Are the New Denim"

I've a pair of fleece leggings to wear around the house. I'll wear jeggings but not leggings out. I wore tights to my health club, but I know when my time has passed for tights. I can achieve the "look" with them w/o advertising my age. Yes, they sell you them telling you everybody can wear them. They lie.

I see people young and old who should find something else besides leggings equally as comfortable but doesn't advertise your wares.

Even Pat and Jayne should give them up.

Trusted Contributor

I wear a little of every kind of pant that has been discussed on this thread!  I have a slim figure even though I am a senior citizen!  I still love my straight leg and fuller cut pants and jeans that I wear with short tops and sweaters!  I do wear jeggings with longer tops!

I feel it is as has been mentioned already, we must look at ourselves in the mirror front and back before leaving the house!!

I agree that some women probably do not look!!Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

I wear a little of every kind of pant that has been discussed on this thread!  I have a slim figure even though I am a senior citizen!  I still love my straight leg and fuller cut pants and jeans that I wear with short tops and sweaters!  I do wear jeggings with longer tops!

I feel it is as has been mentioned already, we must look at ourselves in the mirror front and back before leaving the house!!

I agree that some women probably do not look!!Woman Wink

Me, too, @Newgate, but unfortunately everything is several inches lower.

Valued Contributor

I never thought that any piece of clothing would ever replace my jeans. However, they're here....leggings. I wear them frequently to work, on the weekends, many days of the week. Yes, I do own a full-length mirror which I absolutely check before leaving the house. If my back half and my front half aren't completely covered, I change into a longer top. Tall boots in cold weather, flipflops or flats in warm - I'm set. I still wear my jeans, corduroys, and dress slacks occasionally, but leggings are far more comfortable. (At the gym I wear only baggy shorts or track pants - no VPL, cameltoe, unsightly lines, etc. will ever be spotted on me!)

Honored Contributor

My SIL is a tiny person - size 2 - but she is around 70 and has cellulite on her thighs and it does show when she wears leggings. They are only for those with perfect bodies unless of course you don't care who sees your defects.

Honored Contributor

I don't know, I think the writer is actually a 66 year old woman pretending to be young.  It just has the feel of an article an older person would write.  I don't agree, of course.  I'm 56 and old enough to know that fashion and style and lifestyles evolve over time.  That's the way it is.  That's the way it has always been.  I remember when I was 7 or 8 and when my mom would take us girls "downtown" to shop.  We wore our Sunday clothes.  She would dream of wearing pants or putting us in pants and sneakers.  You dressed "appropriately" when you went into the city.  You dressed up when you travelled too.  That was just 50 years ago but it seems like a lifetime ago because so much has changed.  It wasn't  "better" back then, just different.   We live more casually now.  Live moves faster now.  Women like being comfortable now.  Leggings, yoga pants, stretchy jeans....they fit the way we live.  I myself do not wear yoga pants or black stretchy leggings or sweat pants because I'm not into that athleisure look.  But I do wear my black Dreamjeannes leggings.  I bought two new pairs last week!  I live in them on weekends and on the days I work from home.  I toss on a tunic length sweater, pull on my boots and I'm done and out the door.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am confused the writer of the article is inferring that yoga pants and leggings are the same thing and to most people they are not at all the same.

Bingo !    I picked up on that too.  It seemed like the writer didn't know what she was talking about.   She wanted want make a point but didn't know what that point was...lol

Respected Contributor

I have to admit I've crossed over to the leggings side. Much more comfortable. I do wear long tops and I still occasionally wear jeans but wondering what took me so long!

Honored Contributor

These are ridiculous blanket statements! there are many iterations of leggings between tights with the feet cut out and those that are so dense you see absolutely nothing under them! Why are we justifying ourselves? For every person exposing themselves in a pair of leggings there's somebody that looks terrible and a pair of tight jeans! Get over it
Honored Contributor

I wear yoga pants to yoga class otherwise I wear jeans or dress pants depending on the occasion.  I do not think leggings are complementary to most people - I have seen some women who legs look like sausages in them and others that are so thin it looks two toothpicks stuck into a pumpkin.  I have seen many younger women who need check the back view when wearing yoga pants - they may have looked in the mirror standing still but the back view when they are walking is bad!!