Honored Contributor

Re: "Is It The End Of Fast Fashion"? Justine Leconte

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@Nonametoday  I edited my post because I thought perhaps I was taking what you wrote out of context: I realize now I should have left it as is.

I am not generalizing ANYTHING. Please point out what you think I'm generalizing about.  I'm simply adding TO the conversation of Justine. Of COURSE there are multiple reasons. It didn't happen overnight. It is definitely not one thing that gave us throw-away fashion. Issues such as wage-stagnation, corporate policies and greed; decisions made to cater to shareholders.....the list goes on and on. 

The buying public is also to blame; consumerism and the need to have it now, fast and cheap. But wait! Cheap is also what some can ONLY afford. And now we go down another path of multiple issues as to why that is. 

Generalization? Hardly.

@SahmIam 

Why are you trying to make the conversation into something never intended, a personality squabble amongst posters?  You say what you see is wrong, I say what I see is wrong, Justine says what she sees as wrong, same as ECBG and then you try to take it to a personal or political level.  I am not sure which, but I refused to be dragged into further into what you deem as a brawl.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Nonametoday  I edited my post because I thought perhaps I was taking what you wrote out of context: I realize now I should have left it as is.

I am not generalizing ANYTHING. Please point out what you think I'm generalizing about.  I'm simply adding TO the conversation of Justine. Of COURSE there are multiple reasons. It didn't happen overnight. It is definitely not one thing that gave us throw-away fashion. Issues such as wage-stagnation, corporate policies and greed; decisions made to cater to shareholders.....the list goes on and on. 

The buying public is also to blame; consumerism and the need to have it now, fast and cheap. But wait! Cheap is also what some can ONLY afford. And now we go down another path of multiple issues as to why that is. 

Generalization? Hardly.

@SahmIam 

Why are you trying to make the conversation into something never intended, a personality squabble amongst posters?  You say what you see is wrong, I say what I see is wrong, Justine says what she sees as wrong, same as ECBG and then you try to take it to a personal or political level.  I am not sure which, but I refused to be dragged into further into what you deem as a brawl.

@Nonametoday  Because I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth. Not to mention, you haven't pointed out what I claimed to have generalized about. If you're going to make a statement, back it up with facts, else, don't make it. ALL I stated in my original post was the ADDITION of information to something Justine said. It wasn't wrong, it was a stating a fact that has been published many times. It didn't change anything about what Justine said. 

As for dragging you into a brawl; that's being overdramatic. 

End of discussion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She didn't make the point strongly enough that fast fashion low priced clothing is low quality.  Fast fashion is called "throw away" clothing because it's only in style for a year or two...tailoring is poor to mediocre, so much of it made from lower quality synthetic fabrics that take many years, if at all, to break down.

I differ with her inclusion of Zara that makes their clothing in their own factories in Spain.  Some of it is very trendy, some quite conservative, traditional, and classic.  They use a lot of cotton, cotton blends, and recycled materials.  Their prices range from $39 for a t-shirt up to $300 for a coat. 

Initially, I was surprised at the good quality fabrics, and very high quality tailoring, but then, their clothing is made in Europe.  So, if they did have clothing made in the Bangladesh factory at one time, looks like they got their act together.   

As for Walmart on the list, the Walmart near me sells mostly classic traditional clothing, very little trendy.  Some of it is good quality.  A lot of it is cotton or cotton blend and less coming from Chinese factories, but they are not off the hook because they are using sweatshop factories elsewhere.

But, Walmart plans on purchasing $250 billion on products from U.S. companies and helping entrepreneurs to start their own companies to make products no longer made here.  We should see some of those products now or soon in the stores.  

I think QVC does sell some fast fashion.  Very trendy, some of it low quality and I think from low quality fabrics.  Some of the clothing is good quality for the price.  It's hit or miss.  Depends on the designer. 

To answer her question, I'd pay more for a t-shirt made in Europe from good quality cotton.