Respected Contributor

"I've Never Seen Another One Like It"

All of us have memories of a perfect fashion item, long gone, that we loved but have never been able to replace.

Mine was a tank top made of two layers of sheer, crinkled woven printed crepe. Each layer was a different print, so meticulously designed that when worn, you couldn't see through it. I think one layer was a paisley and one an abstract print. It was reversible. I bought it at Strawbridge and Clothier, also long gone. 

In the hope of someone in the biz reading this thread and being inspired, what item would you like to see recreated?

Honored Contributor

Re: "I've Never Seen Another One Like It"

[ Edited ]

This wonderful cotton long sleeve blouse with beautiful cut-out designs on the arms that looked like the kind you see on Irish linen napkins. I don't know what I did with it.

Also a lemon yellow London Fog Trench coat, that my mother gave me. I don't know what happened to that either!🙁

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I had a wonderful off-white long sleeve cotton top with a seam down the front that made me look slim. I went back to buy a second one and maybe one in another color. All sold out. I looked for it everywhere....then the store went out of business. (Can't remember the name but it was a a Fashion Bug type).

I also had some wonnderful dressy cotton T shirts from Fashion Bug that I wore under cardigans and by themselves. Loved them! Fashion Bug went out of business.....

A 100% cotton light tan hooded anorak from Eddie Bauer. Wore it until it frayed out. No exact replacement ever found....

Fun thread!

Respected Contributor

@on the bay I don't know what those napkins look like, but check out @gertrudecloset 's 30% off post. 

Honored Contributor

Beautifully cut quality soft linen shirt in white with grey shell buttons..don't remember the designer on this simple exquisite classic.  Not only was it beautiful, but so comfortable to wear.  

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3,

They looked kind of like this (the blouse not the pants) but on the sleeves-different intricate designs with leaf raised type things around the cut-outs.

I know that really doesn't describe it but it sure was pretty!

White - Cutout Cotton Blouse - Oscar De La Renta

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shorts that don't have such a wide leg! I can't wear bike shorts so I would like a little looser in the leg. I had a few pair for years they have seen better days. I sent for and tried on so many to no avail. Your shirt sounds lovely @PickyPicky3 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A linen open knit oversized tailored shirt cardigan around 30 inches long, designed by Louis Dell'Olio in the late 80's. 

It looked like a knubby open crochet knit that had substance to it, didn't wrinkle...wore it out.  

I asked him if he would design it for QVC, but he said it would be too expensive to make. 

Why was it perfect?  It was very stylish and unique.  Never saw anything like it.  I wore it over everything casual when it was a bit cool outside and even though it was holey, it was pretty warm.

I have been looking for that cardigan on ebay, etsy, used and vintage clothing stores, everywhere.  No luck.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee     geez....I miss Louis😢

Respected Contributor

@godi 

I so agree about the shorts.  I have a few pair that ive been wearing for years.  Ive tried over and over to get shorts with a better fit  in the legs besides bike shorts!! They are way too tight for me!.