Honored Contributor

"History of fashion" online course?

Has anyone ever taken an online course in the history of fashion?

(Not fashion design, just the history.)

I am seeing some online but was hoping to read some pros or cons about any particular course.   I'm not interested in a degree, just a course or two for fun.

And, of course, I could also just read books.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: "History of fashion" online course?

Other than taking a course which will surely involve projects, I would just read a good book which you could tailor to your interest.

How deep do you want to go?

Honored Contributor

Books with photos, unless online is free.  Maybe try Wikipedia?  Probably quite a few informational sites that are free?  Enjoy!  Something that I'd be interested in reading (about).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I found this book has a good, straight forward history when I had bought it for something else.  Of course Tim Gunn is an excellent professor, and people in the past didn't have many clothes up to one point.  It's four and one half stars on Amazon.  You can also order college texts to follow your interests.  There really isn't much during the 1700's, fashion actually started with the French courts.

If there's a period in time you're interested in, it's usually studied by going through specific designers or time periods like Victorian Fashion.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Heart  for the TG book suggestion!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I found this book has a good, straight forward history when I had bought it for something else.  Of course Tim Gunn is an excellent professor, and people in the past didn't have many clothes up to one point.  It's four and one half stars on Amazon.  You can also order college texts to follow your interests.  There really isn't much during the 1700's, fashion actually started with the French courts.

If there's a period in time you're interested in, it's usually studied by going through specific designers or time periods like Victorian Fashion.

I have this book, @ECBG

Thanks for the suggestion.  It didn't go deep enough or into enough detail but was great as an overview.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachWhat were you looking forward to get out of a college course? Most of them study a period through it's designers as I said.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @ECBG

An overview of the history of what ordinary people wore.  Not so much what designers did (although, of course,  that is part of it all) since designers are mostly 20th century (at least those that are affecting wearable fashion today).

I have one interesting, yet very limited, book called What We Wore.  It covers everyday womens' fashion from 1950 through 1979.  The author includes what the influences were and how styles changed.  I find that fascinating and would like to broaden my knowledge of those aspects for other years.  (Almost all the remainder of my "fashion" books are in the "how to wear clothes"-genre bought back in the 70s and 80s.  Fun, but not broadly historical.)

I think I will continue looking at books available at amazon, the library, etc.  There are some that seem promising.

Honored Contributor

Well, in the 1700's, men and male children wore shirts and pants fastened by buttons, until about 1850 when zippers were actually invented.  Women had basically under dresses with over dresses and aprons.

Have you tried this one?  It might give you the depth you want.  From Amazon:

Who Wore What?: Women's Wear, 1861-1865 1 Ed Edition

ISBN-13: 978-0939631810
ISBN-10: 093963181

• Hardcover
    $23.37
  • Other Sellers
    from $29.99
Rent
$23.37
Due Date: Aug 13, 2016 Rental Details
  • FREE return shipping at the end of the semester.
  • Access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with rentals.
In Stock. Rented from RentU , Fulfilled by Amazon

List Price: $29.95 Save: $6.58 (22%)
More Buying Choices
12 New from $49.96 22 Used from $29.99 1 Collectible from $88.00

Trusted Contributor

That looks interesting!

@ECBG wrote:

Well, in the 1700's, men and male children wore shirts and pants fastened by buttons, until about 1850 when zippers were actually invented.  Women had basically under dresses with over dresses and aprons.

Have you tried this one?  It might give you the depth you want.  From Amazon:

Who Wore What?: Women's Wear, 1861-1865 1 Ed Edition

ISBN-13: 978-0939631810
ISBN-10: 093963181

• Hardcover
    $23.37
  • Other Sellers
    from $29.99
Rent
$23.37
Due Date: Aug 13, 2016 Rental Details
  • FREE return shipping at the end of the semester.
  • Access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with rentals.
In Stock. Rented from RentU , Fulfilled by Amazon

List Price: $29.95 Save: $6.58 (22%)
More Buying Choices
12 New from $49.96 22 Used from $29.99 1 Collectible from $88.00

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning