Honored Contributor

Kmart is renaming its 'plus-sized' section 'fabulously sized'

Kmart fabulously sized

Retailers across the country are finally waking up to the fact that yes, women who wear above a size 12 spend money on clothes, too! Now one of the biggest big-box chains in the country is realizing that adding more sizes boosts sales — and those sizes don't have to get slapped with a “plus-size” label, either. Women’s Wear Daily reports that Kmart is removing the term “plus-size” from its stores, and instead rolling out expanded “Fabulously Sized” sections at stores across the country.

Kelly Cook, Kmart’s chief marketing officer, told WWD that older shoppers wanted a separate section for larger sizes, while younger shoppers wanted those sizes integrated into the rest of the store instead. Because of that divide, the separate sections will specifically feature extended sizes from brands like Basic Editions and Jaclyn Smith, which cater to older shoppers. Kmart is also offering more sizes of other brands like Route 66, Joe Boxer, Everlast, and Attention, within the rest of the women's department, and it's marking extended sizes with a “fabulously sized” sign on the racks. They’re also starting a new body-positive ad campaign under the slogan “I Can.”

This move to expand the “fabulously sized” selection makes a ton of sense from a business perspective, as larger sizes make up 21 percent of Kmart’s women’s sales, and the store says adding larger sizes has already helped sales. Though of course, the ideal would be to have every single item of clothing available in every size, for now it’s a step in the right direction. Whether banning the term “plus size” will affect sales remains to be seen, but it’s clear shoppers want to buy cute stuff, no matter what size they happen to wear.

Respected Contributor

Re: "Fabulously Sized"

[ Edited ]

geez.

every size is fabulous.

how much money did they throw away paying that marketing genius?

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor
I don't care what we call it. I'm well aware I'm a fat girl. There's no sense sugar coating it or I'll probably eat that too.

Meijer has all the sizes on the same rack. It seems to work for them.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't care what the stores or vendors call their Plus size clothing as long as they make it.  TOo many designers still refuse to do a larger size line.

Respected Contributor

@RollTideRoll2008 wrote:
I don't care what we call it. I'm well aware I'm a fat girl. There's no sense sugar coating it or I'll probably eat that too.

@RollTide2008  You made me laugh......good one!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

My first reaction to that labeling is negative:  too cutesy and rather condescending😏

Respected Contributor

I'm all for body positivity, but not at the expense of other women, and this campaign just sounds cheesy. There are plenty of us fat ladies out there who don't buy clothes to hide "flaws," we buy it because it's what's we like and/or the price is good. 

Honored Contributor

Plus sized is not a great name but Fabulously is bad, sounds like my Big Fat Fabulous Life

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@RollTideRoll2008 wrote:

@RollTide2008  You made me laugh......good one!

@RollTide2008-

Me too!Woman LOL-

what a great sense of humor!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

I don't understand why all sizes are not included ... nothing should be "plus", or "fabulously sized" ... it's just a size!

I know some stores are better than others ... our Kohl's seems to have nothing under a size 12 for women.