Trusted Contributor

Re: "Destroyed" jeans look. Anyone in?

I like slightly distressed jeans as long as they fit properly.  The jeans on Sophia are cute.  I especially like the shade of blue.  What I don't care for is over the top destroyed jeans.  Last summer, I saw a young woman wearing a pair in which her thighs were visible because the jeans had been completely cut away.

Also, I do not find distressed jeans to be insensitive to the poor.  It is just fashion.  And that statement is coming from someone whose first pair of jeans were hand me downs from a neighbor who was larger and shorter than I was.  The jeans were from Sears and had a hole in the knee.  My mom covered the hole with a patch that was my school's mascot.

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

I didn't like the look when it first went in style.  I still don't like and won't wear it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love them.  I currently have three pairs.

Honored Contributor

I'm not against them, I just don't wear blue denim. They've been around forever though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

They're OK.  They're all right on others.  I wouldn't wear them myself.  

From early childhood, I was endoctrinated with the "clean, pressed clothes, mend all tears, sew on your buttons and the no holes in clothing mindset." 

So if my jeans were anywhere near that condition, I would probably rip them up and use them for mending or for rags. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have several Mossimo distressed jeans from Target. I sewed denim fabric on the wrong side of those distressed, torn areas so there's no see through. I've also distressed a pair of jeans myself. I took a pair of gray straight leg jeans and did some minimal distressing and also sewed denim patches on the inside of the legs so there's no see through either. I rolled up the legs so they look like boyfriend jeans.

Trusted Contributor

LOVE them! I have several pairs, including the ones Sophia is wearing.

Honored Contributor

TY1:   I really do like that idea.........Maybe I'll copy you, if and when I find a pair of distressed jeans that I like!  Thanks!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I like them. I have one fave pair right now.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm with @chrystaltree and a few others here: slightly worn, distressed, sad & depressed is AOK, but so destroyed that you need sunscreen on your thighs is too much. I have some BF jeans from JCP that are my favorite fit; fortunately their "distressed" only has fake rips covered by lots of stitches - no actual holes. I prefer BF jeans, and am having trouble finding them withOUT the distressed option. Sofia looks good in hers, but I prefer them a bit less worn.

My mom said, "When you were in jr. high you would have thrown a fit if I'd made you wear jeans with holes in them. Now you're paying money FOR THE HOLES???"