Honored Contributor

"DRESSING YOUR TRUTH"

[ Edited ]

All the different systems like the "seasonal" one (are you an Autumn or a Spring); the "archetypes", the old "Color Me Beautiful" system,  etc. are fun, and are based on some pretty good principles.  Of course, it isn't an exact science, but wow, there are some great takeaways in all of them, I think.

Carol Tuttle's  "Dressing your Truth" is one of the most interesting to me.  She identifies four different types of energy, in the way that humans express themselves.  Two of them, type 1 and type 3, are essentially extraverted, "moving outward" kinds of energy, and two of them are introverted, type 2 and type 4, with movement that goes more inward.  Each type manifests in how we present ourselves in the world, and the differences are STRIKING.

It's so much fun to see women discover their particular energy type, and translate it into the optimum look for them, as in this Type 4:

I've fingered myself as Type 2, the "soft and subtle" type.  Sounds dull!  But it fits me best, and when I dress that way I feel most "authentic"...

Anyway, enough blather.  If even the tiniest bit interested, watch this video in which Carol present herself in her dynamic Type 3 persona, then tries to dress like the other 3 types, entertainingly unsuccessfully, to show that there really are identifiable principles governing the style, makeup and hair of each type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imp-9xXfFrI

Warning-- her videos are addicting...

There's even one where she has four other style experts dressing as each other's type, with hilarious results.  I'll post when I can find it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell : thank you for sharing. I will read more wha\en time permits.

That is one of the most striking Before and Afters I have ever seen!!

Honored Contributor

OMG, she looks like a different person, I had to look twice.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting read!

I follow Carole Jackson because my eye sees colors like thosse before me who were artists.  There's no denying that when someone has a sallow skin tone, if you put them in yellow it's very bad.

Because there are more clothing choices (and ways to shop than in the past) I go by Carole Jackson's color system, then personality.  

I'm very outgoing and object to having myself look green. (I follow Carole Jackson and then find my styles).

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

She looks better in the "before."

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

The After picture of course looks best but then the woman had her hair cut, colored and the red color compliments her.  I don't know what type I am but when I was younger and shopping and trying clothes on, I always would go with colors that complimented me.  I also looked good in black and white was a good color for me because it brightened me up.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: "DRESSING YOUR TRUTH"

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, (or fortunately!) the system is far too complex and detailed to explain in a limited space.  That Carol Tuttle, I'm guessing, has a background in therapy, and she has quite good, pithy videos on things as far-reaching as handling anxiety,  acceptance of self, etc. 

She's a sharp cookie (and a quintessential Type 3!) and the proof is in the countless videos where these women's "types" are identified, and they come into their own, feeling finally understood and able to express themselves outwardly the way they feel inwardly...

The four types are Type 1-- The Bright Animated Woman;  Type 2--  The Subtle, Soft Woman;  Type 3--  The Rich, Dynamic Woman;  Type 4-- The Bold, Striking Woman.

(The lines aren't always hard and fast of course.  Many types have a secondary, accent type.  For example, a type 1 could have a bit of type 4 lurking in her....)

It all has to do with the energy put out by the individual-- is the energy pushing forward, or is it more reserved?  Is the voice louder and more projecting, or soft?  Even the lines of the face, the posture and looseness or rigidity of the body, the way it is held, etc. are determinative.

This is the very fun video where women who are different types try on the "looks" of the other types, including clothes, make up, and even modify their hair in order to simulate a type other than their own.  In most cases, you can clearly see the jarring effect when they are not dressing true to their nature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fIdLcYLM78

Here's Carol Tuttle explaining a bit more about her system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgJQ

Honored Contributor

She looks spectacular in the After pic.  What a great look on her!

Honored Contributor

Re: "DRESSING YOUR TRUTH"

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

This is funny!

Yes, I know about Carol Tuttle, as well! 

I’ve taken her courses several yrs. back (Type 2).

She has a free PDF online. Just Google.

I can’t look at someone without ‘typing’ them! Ha

Here we go:

https://ewritingtutors.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/discover-your-personal-beauty-profile-book.pdf

One more:

Check out her YouTube channel. TONS of before/afters, etc. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic