Valued Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Absolutely not.  I do my donating directly.  I am cynical about "cause" buying  I suspect the company might donate 10%, yet, still make a profit of, say, 50%, so the actual net to the charity is pretty low.   I have no data, of course, just a cynical hunch . .  .

@Peaches McPheeThat was kind of my point. I have no problem with a company making a profit and 10% is pretty high compared to other donations companies, BUT my question is always : would I buy this item at this price without the donation?

Sometimes the answer is yes, usually it's no.

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Quse

I think it's sweet she's trying to make a difference.  

She's young & still learning how all this works.

Sounds like she understands what they are & the benefit of her donation, even if there's a cool pair of pants connected to the cause.

I don't see this as any different than the

Tom's Shoes or LiveStrong yellow rubber bracelets. 

If it's making her more Globally Aware in the long run,

I say that's a good thing. Your daughter sounds like a good person.

@sidsmomYes, she's learning how to navigate her place in this world. She's a very empahtetic young lady, especially with animals. She's a fantastic person! I realize that I might be a little biased, but she is. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Quse, how wonderful that your daughter is so interested in animal charities and that you are able to teach her valuable lessons regarding money and how to select viable charities.  I did take a look at some of the shirts, liked some of them, and saw some that were on sale.  I am always happy to hear of young people who are kind, smart, and encouraged to learn how to handle their money wisely.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

my daughters buy items from "elephant pants."

they were recently featured on shark tank.

they love their products.

i was thinking about trying one of their kimonos.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I must immediately admit to buying Lokai bracelets because I like to wear the causes "on my sleeve.

Although a very small percentage of the price of each bracelet goes to the named charity, the total contributions made are significant.

Honored Contributor

@Quse

I sometimes buy fashion during October, part of the wear pink campaign.  I have purchased pink items from Under Armour and Talbots.  

Valued Contributor

@violann wrote:

I must immediately admit to buying Lokai bracelets because I like to wear the causes "on my sleeve.

Although a very small percentage of the price of each bracelet goes to the named charity, the total contributions made are significant.

@violannLol...my daughter is into the Lokai thing too...with her own $$