Valued Contributor

My daughter is into these tees that donate 10% to elephants, a lot of kids in school are, apparently. The clothes are cute, but way overpriced imo. She uses her own $ to buy them, as I just don't think they're worth the $$ and I'm trying to teach her to manage her own dollars. She likes them, so she is willing to spend her own $, much like anyone else, I suppose.
"Causes" seem ubiquitous  these days, and I'm sure the price takes into consideration the donation.
Are you more likely to purchase a product that donates to a cause you like?
I guess for me, I'd rather just donate directly to the charity.

Super Contributor

@Quse wrote:

My daughter is into these tees that donate 10% to elephants, a lot of kids in school are, apparently. The clothes are cute, but way overpriced imo. She uses her own $ to buy them, as I just don't think they're worth the $$ and I'm trying to teach her to manage her own dollars. She likes them, so she is willing to spend her own $, much like anyone else, I suppose.
"Causes" seem ubiquitous  these days, and I'm sure the price takes into consideration the donation.

I agree with you and prefer to donate directly to the charity, but the publicity that the charity gets from the t-shirts is likely helpful to them as well. Maybe it also gives your daughter a feeling of contributing to the cause by giving it publicity and starting a discussion.

Honored Contributor

I donate directly to the charity of MY choice.  I do not like situations where I have to "pay" for something then part of the payment allegedly goes to a charity of some sort. rolleyes.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: "Cause" Question

[ Edited ]

It really depends on the product and the company.

I'm more likely to buy products from/do business with companies that are sustainable, treat employees well, and somehow demonstrate they share in my beliefs. I will spend more money on products that do those things. When it comes to a company giving part of its profits to charity, it may be a draw for me, but only if I really like the product and it's still a good value. If I don't like the product or the value, I'll just donate the money to the cause.

If you donate money to a cause, that's usually the end of it unless you do a monthly/annual donation. If you wear a product people associate with a donation, like shoes by Toms, then you are reminded of that donation whenever you wear them and others are, too. It helps spread the message and bring awareness of the cause to others and making the purchase isn't the end.

Millenials, maybe like your daughter, are often more inclined to make these types of purchases and choose companies who make donations like this, monitor their carbon footprint, and strive to do good things for the world. They'll search for organic fair trade coffee or locally sourced farm to market produce, pay more for it, and tell their friends. They take a lot of pride in the fact that they support those companies, those causes, and that everything they purchase or use meant some good was done.

Trusted Contributor

It is very hard to find out if some of these causes are on the up and up. Lots of scams.

I do give to the Salvation Army because I have seen with my own eyes that they really helped people who lives and homes were affected by huge floods, my mother included.

At Christmas my husband had to push his money in the bucket it was so full, that was a good thing.

Valued Contributor

@RipleyGirl wrote:

@Quse wrote:

I agree with you and prefer to donate directly to the charity, but the publicity that the charity gets from the t-shirts is likely helpful to them as well. Maybe it also gives your daughter a feeling of contributing to the cause by giving it publicity and starting a discussion.

@RipleyGirlI didn't think about the advertising aspect of it, but that's a good point.
I think in this case, with my daughter, it's more of a peer thing. Girls at school have them and she liked them, so she wanted one. When she comes to me with, "I NEED this!" we have a little discussion about needs and wants, then she has to determine whether she "needs" it with her own $. Funny how most of her "needs" get redefined when it's her $...lol

Honored Contributor

If it's the company "Elephant Pants", did you see their recent 'Shark Tank' episode?

If not, here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgZ_dtXBXw

Respected Contributor

Absolutely not.  I do my donating directly.  I am cynical about "cause" buying  I suspect the company might donate 10%, yet, still make a profit of, say, 50%, so the actual net to the charity is pretty low.   I have no data, of course, just a cynical hunch . .  .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

If it's the company "Elephant Pants", did you see their recent 'Shark Tank' episode?

If not, here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgZ_dtXBXw

@feline groovyLol. no it isn't that one. It's called Ivory Ella.

Honored Contributor

@Quse

I think it's sweet she's trying to make a difference.  

She's young & still learning how all this works.

Sounds like she understands what they are & the benefit of her donation, even if there's a cool pair of pants connected to the cause.

I don't see this as any different than the

Tom's Shoes or LiveStrong yellow rubber bracelets. 

If it's making her more Globally Aware in the long run,

I say that's a good thing. Your daughter sounds like a good person.