Valued Contributor

Re: "Boyfriend" in fashion....

It may have orginally meant borrowing men's fashion designs cut to a female body but I find that in reality it means anything that is super long and baggy. Which is really not in the spirit of the thing. At least have found that to be true on QVC. I stay away from it like poisen, being only 5 ft tall.

Esteemed Contributor

I echo what @goldensrbestand @ALRATIBA said - to me, the "boyfriend" look was what Diane Keaton wore in the movie "Annie Hall" and it was the style I wanted for myself in the 80's.  I loved oversized blazer jackets with big shoulder pads and push-up sleeves back then.  Eek!   But I think the term "boyfriend" has taken on a new meaning now -- the styles they say are "boyfriend" now don't look anything like the original jackets and thin neckties that some of us ladies wore in the 80's.   Even tho, some "boyfriend" sweaters are cut like the high school letter sweaters the athletes used to wear - all they're missing is the big fuzzy letter on the pocket.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

In fashion design, primarily in ready-to-wear lines, boyfriend is any style of women's clothing that was modified from a corresponding men's garment.
Honored Contributor

LadyRoxanne:  'Believe it or not', I've been known to shop for men's boxer shorts in size Small.  Sometimes (not too often) in the Young Men's Dept. in L or XL.   Wear them with tees instead of PJ's.  Some stores hang them individually on hangers.  If the fabric is soft and I like the print, I buy.  I choose the ones with the one straight backside seam (not with the bulky extra back seams). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

hey @ROMARY

i like your idea!!  i'm sure they are comfy and cute, too!  thanks! Woman Very Happy