Respected Contributor

Re: "Boyfriend" in fashion....

To me, the term refers to an article of clothing your boyfriend would wear, but it's been altered a bit in cut and feminine details so that it suits a woman better.

I can't imagine that a "lacy ruffled tunic" or any kind of tunic would be labeled as a "boyfriend tunic". I think it was an error.

Honored Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

Giuliana Rancic's boyfriend cardigan doesn't look like anything any of my boyfriends would have worn though! Ha ha

That's what happened with the term "boyfriend" apparel.  It started out meaning something and now it's just a word.  It often doesn't mean anything to a particular garment.  

Honored Contributor

The jeans I was talking about:  A279891 ............ 'Studio by Denim and Company Distressed 5 pocket Denim Jeans'.  There's a video of host Amy Stran wearing them.  These jeans are what (in my mind) I'd call 'Boyfriend'.   But, that's just my opinion, of course.  And I've been known to change my mind..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Read "Boyfriend" to mean a little loose", yet still appealing!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I always thought it meant a little boyish.  Like shoes that tie up, longer sweaters that button up the front and ladies wearing ties in different ways.Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I always took it to mean loose fitting.

Well, I recently purchased a form fitting blazer with the rolled-up sleeves sewn in and it was called boyfriend.  I think the only thing that said "boyfriend" was the gathering of the sleeves to make it appear as tough they were rolled up.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of 'ties', (and as I've often said), when I worked in offices, I received many compliments whenever I wore 'Boyfriend' style outfits.  Some with a tie, loosly tied over a crisp white or pastel shirt, under a blazer.  Keep in mind that I told everyone ahead of time (in a joking way) that I appreciate compliments and didn't consider them 'harrassment', etc.  I truly enjoyed office work with nice, friendly, (but not too friendly, lol) people.  Sort of 'family' environment.  (Again: But not too 'family', lol).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Back in the 80s/90s ... it was fairlly common around here to buy men's sports jackets from thrift shops and wear with button front shirts and jeans.

They were fab for casual wear.  I had quite a collection.

Yes,and i just loved that look,wasn't it diane kenton that had that look?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

I always took it to mean loose fitting.

Well, I recently purchased a form fitting blazer with the rolled-up sleeves sewn in and it was called boyfriend.  I think the only thing that said "boyfriend" was the gathering of the sleeves to make it appear as tough they were rolled up.

@Nonametoday,Talbots has exactly what you're speaking of.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You can't over think these things.  I think originally boyfriend, as in jeans and cardigans and blazers, meant they borrowed the styling of men's apparel and cut it to fit a woman's body.  It still does mean that but they are also using "boyfriend" for other apparel.  

as long as it's not our undies! Woman LOLSmiley Very HappySmiley LOL