Esteemed Contributor

Re: "A Dress I Have No Business Wearing"

@lolakimono

Yes...and I don't go into H Post for just anyone, trust me...cute, interesting, sweet, but not a big connection to the blog in question in my mind.  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

I see parallels between the two women.  Both are choosing to be photographed as they are, without filters or "editing" to look thinner, taller, younger, etc. because they have come to a certain level of acceptance with where they are right now.  They are both living in the present, despite the imperfections they see in the mirror, rather than living for "someday."

Someday I will wear this when I lose X pounds.

Someday I will wear this when I have X occasion to.

Someday I will wear this when I have X to accompany me.

@MacDUFF

Respected Contributor

What in the world is wrong with people? Why would you tear apart someone you don't even know? If I want to get to know someone, I notice things like "Is she genuine, funny, thouhgtful, smart (not necessarily a requirement), grateful, loving, tolerant, what are her interests, what is going on in her life right now, and much much more". The last thing I am looking at is how far her belly sticks out or is every hair in place. Give me a break. Not important in the scheme of things.

What she is trying to get across is that other people may think she has no business wearing it, but she doesn't care anymore. Good for her!

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I see parallels between the two women.  Both are choosing to be photographed as they are, without filters or "editing" to look thinner, taller, younger, etc. because they have come to a certain level of acceptance with where they are right now.  They are both living in the present, despite the imperfections they see in the mirror, rather than living for "someday."

Someday I will wear this when I lose X pounds.

Someday I will wear this when I have X occasion to.

Someday I will wear this when I have X to accompany me.

@MacDUFF

@lolakimono

Your comments may apply to the woman in the HuffPo story, but not to the woman or the subject of this thread.  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

She says for 40 YEARS she has looked in the mirror and compared how she looks to how she thinks she's supposed to look. And talks about how exhausting that is. It IS exhausting. Maybe she's just tired of that exhaustion.

She bought one body conscious dress, she never buys them. I cut her some slack and say bravo. You never know when you could be getting a call that could change your life, for the worse . Or you could lose your life in any number of ways or become very ill. What does it matter in the grand scheme of things if you wore a dress with belly showing, that anyone else didn't think was flattering? I don't think it matters at all.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I'd be more likely to believe her if she just wore the dress; posting about it defeats the purpose. 

The whole defense of what she is doing is off. It is like she is trying to sell us (or herself) a bridge... lol

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

I'd never wear that, but if the person wants to make a fool of herself, so be it. Not everyone viewing her would see the "spiritual" side of her confidence. She just looks dumb.

I'd much rather go out and have a drink with her than with you.

@QueenDanceALot.  Lol. Are you saying zitaloses?

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

Very well stated .... I also didn't think she explained why she'd bother to purchase and wear a dress that was SO unflattering.   And yes, you're right, it doesn't do her bustline any favors, either.  

This thread isn't about the state of the world, or anyone's spiritual leanings.   It's about why a woman would wear a dress that she freely admits doesn't look good on her.   A lot of people totally missed that point.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

I wear a 3X and don't do body-hugging dresses, but if she feels confident, go for it. I'm tired of mean girls and mean women who constantly tear others down to make them feel superior. With all the ****** that's been plaguing our country lately, seeing a belly poke out from a dress and being offended by it is extremely petty and superficial. 

I think there are a lot of us older ladies here and that's where a lot of the criticism comes.  It is a new day and a new era: Something akin to when women began to show their ankles.  

Perhaps the world will be a better place for many when one can wear a dress like in the picture and be a female not afraid to admit that their body type does not fit perfection.  Older women are taught from birth that they must conceal any imperfection in their bodies.  Youth and beauty were the duty of women then.  It was all part of being pleasing to the eye more than the mind or the spirit for many unfortunate women.  Many are still in the trap.

While I, myself, do not care to see naked and nearly naked body parts (male OR female) flapping in the wind, good for the woman wearing this dress.  Sometimes the biggest problem in facing women's issues is other women.  Maybe we can get past some of that and relax a little! 

Honored Contributor

I must be missing something. Why wear a dress that simply does not fit? Why not just buy a size that does and wear Spanx under it? There is nothing wrong with her body....it's the dress is too small.