Trusted Contributor

Re: "A Dress I Have No Business Wearing"

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I was raised to believe that every woman (and man) should dress to look their best .....   and accentuate the positive.   Everyone has a "negative" when it comes to their figure or physique, and learning to look their best is really a skill.   

Yes, yes, and yes.   I know better than to wear short shorts, or sleeveless tops.  That ship has sailed.  My waist disappeared years ago so I don't tuck anything in.   I still manage to look somewhat presentable and I feel pretty good about it.   But I KNOW MY LIMITATIONS.  

Frankly, the whole "selfie" and social media obsessed society just annoys me.  Why are these people so self-important?   I didn't read the referenced article, and I won't increase the "views" by doing so.   Her picture tells the whole story, IMO. 

Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't see where she looks like a sausage casing there, her belly is protruding out. So what. If she wants to wear it anyway she should. I think that's part of her point. The overall post talks about her life and other priorities dictating it now.

Anyone who has the kind of life in which they can make shaping their body a top priority, bravo to them. I can't because my life is full of important priorities and yes my belly sticks out. I walk for cardio and mental health. I dress for me, a few days ago I actually bought stretchy skinny jeans. I'm a size 12 and I think they look good on me. Two years ago I was almost 15 pounds lighter due to stress. My clothes were hanging off me. My belly didn't stick out, it was flat. But my life was hell. 

When I was 19 I starved myself and people told me I looked good. Ha, not so funny.

I don't look as good as I could, but through long struggles and work and counsel and perseverance I am a better and stronger person inside than ever before. I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR.  

I'm sorry I don't know how getting dressed in the right undergarments for a particluar outfit is too high a priority that someone doesn't have time for it

Did she put on a bra?

I mean seriously-

Its not about weight or a belly its about the basics when wearing certain things for your body type

Its not like she was going to the market in her pajamas

she looked sloppy and didn't care -good for her-but dont expect accolades or people to "celebrate" it

Do grieving people still properly dress for funerals?

I am sure people have better priorities for those occasions as well but they still manage to dress better than this woman

Honored Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't see where she looks like a sausage casing there, her belly is protruding out. So what. If she wants to wear it anyway she should. I think that's part of her point. The overall post talks about her life and other priorities dictating it now.

Anyone who has the kind of life in which they can make shaping their body a top priority, bravo to them. I can't because my life is full of important priorities and yes my belly sticks out. I walk for cardio and mental health. I dress for me, a few days ago I actually bought stretchy skinny jeans. I'm a size 12 and I think they look good on me. Two years ago I was almost 15 pounds lighter due to stress. My clothes were hanging off me. My belly didn't stick out, it was flat. But my life was hell. 

When I was 19 I starved myself and people told me I looked good. Ha, not so funny.

I don't look as good as I could, but through long struggles and work and counsel and perseverance I am a better and stronger person inside than ever before. I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR.  

I'm sorry I don't know how getting dressed in the right undergarments for a particluar outfit is too high a priority that someone doesn't have time for it

Did she put on a bra?

I mean seriously-

Its not about weight or a belly its about the basics when wearing certain things for your body type

Its not like she was going to the market in her pajamas

she looked sloppy and didn't care -good for her-but dont expect accolades or people to "celebrate" it

Do grieving people still properly dress for funerals?

I am sure people have better priorities for those occasions as well but they still manage to dress better than this woman

@JobGirl

Well said.      I still don't see why this is so darn hard for some to understand.   What you said was clear and to the point.  

For heaven's sakes, if you don't want to take the time to dress in something that flatters your figure, then at least wear something that DOESN'T MAKE YOU LOOK AWFUL.    

Honored Contributor

There are lots of very confident people who dress badly.  No one is saying she shouldn't feel confident.  She just doesn't really look very good in that dress.  No one is trying to shame her, or drag her down, or whatever else we are being accused of.

Honored Contributor

She has the dress and likes it and wants to wear it. She doesn't look the same way in the dress that she used to and wants to wear it anyway. She wouldn't do that previously but she is now, in spite of her own self critical ways and anyone else's opinion. That's my takeaway from it, and I don't see what's wrong with that. 

I didn't read the rest of her blog so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't look like the type of blog full of look at me selfies.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

She has the dress and likes it and wants to wear it. She doesn't look the same way in the dress that she used to and wants to wear it anyway. She wouldn't do that previously but she is now, in spite of her own self critical ways and anyone else's opinion. That's my takeaway from it, and I don't see what's wrong with that. 

I didn't read the rest of her blog so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't look like the type of blog full of look at me selfies.

***************  That's how I took it, too.  I don't know that I would be as brave as this woman and my grandma.  I'm not quite there yet but I hope to be one day.  This woman doesn't appear to me as someone who doesn't take care of herself.  She is letting it all hang out and realizing..."hey, this is a good feeling .... this is the real me and I'm not afraid to let you see it!  You don't like it....tuff. I know this is old but I have a terrible urge to say....YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

An inspiration to all self critical women. I am one for sure..👍to her. "Life's too short to worry about things you have no business wearing"-yes indeed. I'm going to print this out and revisit it when necessary.

www.themotheroctopus.com

f2b5a48654fd0f367f49b0077458bb63.jpg

She looks like almost all the women I see when I go to weddings....just was at my nieces and many were in dresses like that in all shapes/sizes.  Same with the bridesmaids...they had strapless gowns very revealing and had figures just like hers.  

Heck there's this guy that lives in my neighborhood and he has a belly double that size and takes long walks around the block over and over with his shirt off!  My husband just saw him yesterday and informed me he was back LOL!

I told my husband if he can do it so can you LOL....hubby won't do it...he keeps the shirt on LOL!

Honored Contributor

As long as she's comfortable that's all that matters.

If she were my sister or a dear friend and asked for my opinion, I'd have to be honest and tell her, it is not a great look.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

As long as she's comfortable that's all that matters.

If she were my sister or a dear friend and asked for my opinion, I'd have to be honest and tell her, it is not a great look.

Totally agree.

Honored Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

I'd never wear that, but if the person wants to make a fool of herself, so be it. Not everyone viewing her would see the "spiritual" side of her confidence. She just looks dumb.

I'd much rather go out and have a drink with her than with you.