Honored Contributor

How carefully do you have to wash it? I like this long sweater at Nordstrom. The care says it's 100% cotton and to hand wash. So, how much will this shrink in the machine? I'm think of sizing up for this.

/></p>

Valued Contributor

As long as you use the delicate wash cycle, cold water, and lay flat to dry -- it should not shrink.

Honored Contributor

Thanks! I thought that. I won't size up. It's a long, slouchy sweater. So I'll stick to my regular size.

Respected Contributor

If it's ""Made in India"" it will shrink. You should HAND WASH as per the directions. Use COLD water. JMHO.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I've read that it is the spinning that causes items to shrink.

I've never had much luck washing 100% cotton sweaters. They either shrink or grow. They just never are the same for me.

Honored Contributor

Get yourself a washing machine bag, wash in cold water, then you can put in the dryer for a couple of minutes to reshape then lay flat to dry.

like this, I wash all my sweaters this way, never a problem

http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-18x22-Sweater-Wash/dp/B000K7E6GC/ref=pd_sim_hg_6?ie=UTF8&...

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of 100% cotton sweaters. They always seem to grow and stretch out of shape.

Respected Contributor

The thing about cotton is that it's unpredictable. It depends so much on the quality IMO.

I've had tops and sweaters that never shrank or lost their shape, and others that were hopeless.

Hopefully, something from Nordstrom won't be a problem.

I do think a sweater that's a blend is more reliable in terms of keeping it's shape, and color. I prefer those.

About shrinking, I always wash cotton in cold water and hang to dry (tops) or lay flat to dry (sweaters). I don't see a difference in using a washing machine on delicate versus hand washing - in terms of shrinking. Either cold water will shrink the item (unlikely) or it won't. I think stretching might be more of a problem due to agitation in the washer. But a lingerie bag should solve that.

Honored Contributor

Do not size up. Either follow the instructions and hand wash or wash it in cold water on the gentle cycle. Lay flat to dry. It will be fine. I don't know anyone would think ""Made in India"" is the equivalent of ""this will shrink"".

Honored Contributor
On 10/1/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I'm not a fan of 100% cotton sweaters. They always seem to grow and stretch out of shape.

neither am i.......actually i now avoid EVERYTHING that is 100% cotton.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein