Super Contributor
On 10/2/2014 NickNack said:
On 10/2/2014 Madisson said:

Despite what I have heard others mention on this board, my 100% cotton sweaters do not stretch and bag out of shape. There is cheap cotton, and there is high quality cotton. That makes a huge difference. You usually get what you pay for.

I completely agree with this statement. My cotton sweaters don't stretch or bag out of shape either.

Did you ever wonder why supima cotton sweaters on men have elbow patches? Because, even with supima cotton, the elbows will sag, and unless woven tightly, finely, you don't really have a sweater weight, you'd have a shirt. So to compensate for the weight to an acceptable "sweater weight", they will oftentimes put patches on the elbow.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/2/2014 songbird said:
On 10/2/2014 twopeas said:

BTW, that sweater is adorable. Do you have the item number?

The sweater is from Nordstrom The brand name is Treasure & Bond It's a textured stitch sweater. Item number is Item #745071 $69.00 free shipping.

Thank you so much, songbird. Kiss

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
On 10/2/2014 songbird said:

BTW, that sweater is adorable. Do you have the item number?

The sweater is from Nordstrom The brand name is Treasure & Bond It's a textured stitch sweater. Item number is Item #745071 $69.00 free shipping.

Thank you so much, songbird. Kiss

You're welcome! Don't mind me. I live and breath Nordstrom. It's a wonder I don't have stock in the company. It's my local hang out.

Super Contributor
On 10/2/2014 ical said:
On 10/2/2014 NickNack said:
On 10/2/2014 Madisson said:

Despite what I have heard others mention on this board, my 100% cotton sweaters do not stretch and bag out of shape. There is cheap cotton, and there is high quality cotton. That makes a huge difference. You usually get what you pay for.

I completely agree with this statement. My cotton sweaters don't stretch or bag out of shape either.

Did you ever wonder why supima cotton sweaters on men have elbow patches? Because, even with supima cotton, the elbows will sag, and unless woven tightly, finely, you don't really have a sweater weight, you'd have a shirt. So to compensate for the weight to an acceptable "sweater weight", they will oftentimes put patches on the elbow.

That's always a possibility, but my husband doesn't particularly like elbow patches. (I do.) I was with him recently when his buyer at Nordies told him that supima cotton is stronger than regular cotton (which surprised me). He said the purpose of elbow patches was to reduce the wear and tear on the elbows of men's sweaters if they are going to get a lot of wear and tear...and to give a sweater those professorial or rustic looks. He did not specifically say anything about bagging.

My husband has quite a collection of supima cotton, cashmere, and lightweight merino wool sweaters without elbow patches. They seem to do fine. The elbows do not bag, and they do not wear through, but he rotates through his collection so that his sweaters do not really take a beating.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

My sweater came. It's fabulous and not as "slouch" as it looks in the picture. I will wash it in a laundry bag and lay it out flat to dry. And yes, I agree the dryer is the culprit. It ages your clothing.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I will not buy 100% cotton clothing anymore. Years ago, that's all I bought. However, the fabric faded quickly and the edges frayed after long use. Then there's the shrinkage of the garments. I love cotton mixed with synthetics or, better yet, synthetics alone. Synthetics never lose their color and don't fray. I've found some ponte knits pill and so am done with them as well. There are some really lovely synthetic fabrics these days that mimic silk and other fine fabrics but are easy to care for and long-lasting. I have living room curtains that I got in a discount store for a song that look just like silk but don't fade and wash like a dream. I took sewing and used to spend a lot of time in fabric stores, so I know good fabrics.

Honored Contributor
On 10/1/2014 chrystaltree said:

Do not size up. Either follow the instructions and hand wash or wash it in cold water on the gentle cycle. Lay flat to dry. It will be fine. I don't know anyone would think "Made in India" is the equivalent of "this will shrink".

Since they tend to use cheaper manufacturing methods, things often aren't colorfast or pre-shrunk. You can't be sure of the quality of material used. Remember the old Madras Plaid that bled so badly?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment