Trusted Contributor

Is it just me or what.Personally,everything has really gone up in price.It seem everytime I TURN QVC on a new vendor,plus sky high prices.Yet it seems the people just keep buying.Handbags with this an that,can put you in the poor house.Plus the clothing is really getting higher an higher.Bottom line I just donot buy like I had before.

Respected Contributor

@bewise wrote:

Is it just me or what.Personally,everything has really gone up in price.It seem everytime I TURN QVC on a new vendor,plus sky high prices.Yet it seems the people just keep buying.Handbags with this an that,can put you in the poor house.Plus the clothing is really getting higher an higher.Bottom line I just donot buy like I had before.

Prices are going up everywhere.  Do you buy groceries????  Personally just buy according to your pocketbook.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

I can go to TJ Maxx and pay a fraction of the price for the same type item.  I would rather shop locally and help the people employed in my area.  There are so many stores in my smaller town closing because nobody shops - you can go to our local mall anytime during the day and there is no one there.  Jobs lost, people struggling.

Respected Contributor

I know people generally do not like to have an older perspective thrown at them, but a lot of folks on this Board need to get a few lessons in logical thinking and planning ahead.  I know some say, "I don't care what it costs If I want it I buy it".  They need to know that one day the money may not be flowing so freely, the job may be lost, the grandfather who was leaving it all to you may change his mind, etc.   DH and I have always been sensible and reasonable with the difference in want and need. For that reason, we are able to live very comfortably now in retirement. He's past mid 90's and I'm a few years behind, but we didn't spend it all on overpriced things, so there is enough left for us to be comfy at this time in our lives.  I wish for each of you the same sensible thinking, and possibly a few less overpriced things today.

Honored Contributor

@bewiseAs a percentage of my income, what I spend at QVC and other "department stores" is very small.  It's not money I worry too much about because I can cut back those expenditures any time I want to or need to.

What I concern myself with are the big costs -  taxes - mine are up, what groceries cost - up, up, up and away, what gasoline costs -really volatile lately and definitely in a big up bounce right now, what insurance for my condo and my car costs-  both up in 2016 and finally the cost of cable, Internet and phone service.  Those expenses consume the vast majority of my income and they are not nearly as controllable as are the cost of clothes and jewelry and other things I might buy occasionally.

Respected Contributor
@bewise : I agree with you. I have greatly cut down my shopping on items like clothing, shoes, handbags, make up, bath & body, skincare. etc..... I am trying to buy only what is a true need.
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I know people generally do not like to have an older perspective thrown at them, but a lot of folks on this Board need to get a few lessons in logical thinking and planning ahead.  I know some say, "I don't care what it costs If I want it I buy it".  They need to know that one day the money may not be flowing so freely, the job may be lost, the grandfather who was leaving it all to you may change his mind, etc.   DH and I have always been sensible and reasonable with the difference in want and need. For that reason, we are able to live very comfortably now in retirement. He's past mid 90's and I'm a few years behind, but we didn't spend it all on overpriced things, so there is enough left for us to be comfy at this time in our lives.  I wish for each of you the same sensible thinking, and possibly a few less overpriced things today.

@Perkup

Good points; my uncle, he'll be 100 in December, has never maintained a credit line!

It seems the more people make the more they spend ....everyone is living in the red....

Esteemed Contributor

Right on re:   clothing   On the Q I don't experiment anymore with the various vendor's products due to the s/h cost & will they fit or not fit?  I'm sticking with Denim & Co being familar with their sizing and being more price friendly.  (sport styles only)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Spoiler
You are correct. 60$ for poly blouse?, B&M stores run specials and have coupons and Internet sites offer free s&h and free returns, Ebates had 15% rebate, QVC 1 or 2 %. I find myself buying clearance and lunchtime specials.
Honored Contributor

And on top of high prices, and on tax & s/h, too much for my blood and pocketbook anymore.