Respected Contributor

Re: neck lines for older women

I thought this was about what looks best on older women in general and the OP in particular. Not a mud slinging contest.

For me (and I am MUCH older) I don't care for boat necks at all. Don't like deep scoop necks as I don't want to have to purchase a second cami or whatever to make it work. I like a real crew neck tee shirt, or maybe one with a slight V.. And turtle necks are great on turtles, but not on me - I don't have a long neck anymore, so they don't work. A modified cowl neck is good sometimes. Necklines are one of the worst problems I have when shopping for clothes.

Esteemed Contributor

Necklines are something I pay particular attention to. I suppose we wear what we think suits us with our height & weight. But sometimes a neckline too high is very unattractive to my eye, but also on me. If anything adds to a frump look, it's the wrong neckline.

Or, what I complained about already about Lori G's line...that she always uses that banded neckline, which subtracts from an otherwise flattering garment (save for the hemlines!)

Super Contributor

A large 25 carat stone..

Honored Contributor

I live in Florida and do not want to have to wear 2 layers of clothing. One is hot enough. Right now I am wearing a henley shirt - neckline open but girls covered. Thank Goodness where I live most of the women are older and do not dress in the current trend of skin tight , very revealing clothing. You can call us dowdy or matronly all you want - I call it ladylike.

Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 BOYINTX said:

A large 25 carat stone..

Heart shaped.

What I am puzzled about is the many old starlets who insist on wearing necklines that are REALLY REALLY low, which shows that "the girls" are down around their ankles now or are somewhere waving goodby.

I've seen some and thought REALLY? You have a neckline down to half-way to your navel and there is NOTHING there but flat bare chest? What about that says that looks good to anyone? Gosh their friends must be afraid to say anything negative to these women.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never worn low necklines even when I was young. I wear mostly V-necks. I think they are most flattering on me & always a small pendant.

Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 bonnielu said:
On 10/12/2014 Kathleen said:
On 10/12/2014 ical said:

Why can't people just wear what they want? Geeze! I bet some would vote for Female Dress Codes by Age. You're doing it now (you being the general female who over thinks their image and regulates themselves through or by regulation of or by others).

<br />

I don't care what anyone else wears ... that's their problem.

In my case - age has nothing to do with it. I wear what I think looks best on me. I've had the same basic style since I got out of high school lots, and lots, and lots of years ago. Up until that point, I wore uniforms.

I am with you ladies. I STILL GOT IT! I wear what looks good and I do wear low necklines because that is what looks best ON ME.

Kiss{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 happy housewife said:

I live in Florida and do not want to have to wear 2 layers of clothing. One is hot enough. Right now I am wearing a henley shirt - neckline open but girls covered. Thank Goodness where I live most of the women are older and do not dress in the current trend of skin tight , very revealing clothing. You can call us dowdy or matronly all you want - I call it ladylike.

Ladylike? Nah, I call it sour grapes.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I wouldn't compare myself to women half my age either.

My motto is if you work out and have a great body, there is nothing wrong with showing a little cleavage. No man I have ever known has complained either.Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve always preferred higher necklines.The trend seems to be getting lower and lower, so much so that in order to even wear a top one has to purchase a cami. Doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Super Contributor

Margo, I do wear 'what's me' and it's not showing everything that I 'used to have'. I manage with jewelry, and have picked up a couple camis from the infamous wmart. I'm set to go til I can wrap myself in a turtleneck. DID get some G. Simonton real drapey long sleeve drapey drapey (did I mention that) neckline, BUT it has a straight piece across the neckline too. Love these tops! also is tight fitting around the butt. I used to have NO butt but all of a sudden, it seems, I do have some?!? I've heard a larger booty is in nowadays?! it's always something, ey girls? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}