Super Contributor

Re: neck lines for older women

On 10/12/2014 happy housewife said:
On 10/12/2014 ical said:
On 10/12/2014 happy housewife said:
On 10/12/2014 ical said:

Why can't people just wear what they want? Geeze! I bet some would vote for Female Dress Codes by Age. You're doing it now (you being the general female who over thinks their image and regulates themselves through or by regulation of or by others).

Age 1-6 Just about anything with any type bottoms and tops.

Age 6-10 Full tops, bottoms to knees.

Age 10-13 Full tops, bottoms to ankles.

Age 13-death Total coverage, including toes, ears, and hand covered from wrists to knuckle.

That's where you're taking women, so just stop fiddling with your necks and chest and bottoms and legs and ankles. Just think (that's the brain).

Edited

The OP did not say one syllable about what anyone else wears - only about herself and what she is comfortable wearing. You really should apologize to her for your rude post.

It isn't addressed to the OP. Reread my post. It is addressed, as is written. Reread it and don't put a negative tone on comments…the tone you set is set by you, not me. The tone of my post is matter-of-fact. So read it that way.

And the OP can speak for herself, one would think.

Rude and stupid.

And I should wear something to cover my hands so I can't type? And are you addressing my comments or me personally? Because I am not rude, nor am I stupid. If you find my comments rude and stupid, well go ahead, feel free.

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, I have a problem with necklines that are too low too. I work in a school and don't want to show it all when bending over! Camis are an option, but (at age 57) make me too warm with two layers. Turtlenecks and crew necks can be too warm, too. I discovered Half-Tees (HSN or their website, I believe?) which do help. I also like the basic sleeveless shells and tops from Christopher & Banks for a base layer under cardi or jackets -- they are cut higher.
Honored Contributor

The back of a cami is higher. I always take out the tag and turn them around. These are cami's that can be worn alone, not the underwear type.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/12/2014 ical said:

Why can't people just wear what they want? Geeze! I bet some would vote for Female Dress Codes by Age. You're doing it now (you being the general female who over thinks their image and regulates themselves through or by regulation of or by others).

Age 1-6 Just about anything with any type bottoms and tops.

Age 6-10 Full tops, bottoms to knees.

Age 10-13 Full tops, bottoms to ankles.

Age 13-death Total coverage, including toes, ears, and hand covered from wrists to knuckle.

That's where you're taking women, so just stop fiddling with your necks and chest and bottoms and legs and ankles. Just think (that's the brain).

Edited

My dear, I think that's exactly what OP is looking for -- what she wants to wear! No one is presuming to decree what you should wear. That's up to your own taste, discretion, and sense of style. Many of us in our mature years, however, would like modest, ladylike clothing.

Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 StylishLady said:

Fortunately I can still wear a nice scoop neckline in my tops. If it gets chilly in winter, the turtlenecks and cowl necks come out.

so can i stylish lady.....scoops and v-necks, cowls, and lower square necks. i dont wear turtlenecks or mocknecks. i think that they just look nicer AND are perfect for jewelry.

one thing i hate are the "modified necklines" that qvc seems to offer too much of these days!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

TO ICAL: Please don't let the comments of the ''un'' happy housewife bother you.

She's WELL KNOWN BY MANY for stirring the pot with her own ''rude and stupid'' comments. I think she does it to get others to respond to her. My advise to you - and everyone else - is to overlook her comments. She enjoys the conflict.

Honored Contributor

Turtle Necks and Mock Turtle Necks accentuate my waddle, so I have given them up. I have one in white that I keep just in case I need to be out walking around in freezing cold weather for some reason.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

ical - I agree with your attitude. Wear what makes you happy and forget the rest. Do you ever hear men obsessing over age appropriate clothing? I don't. If a certain neckline makes you feel good then wear it.

I think being a lady is how you carry yourself not what you wear.

Trusted Contributor

One thing I notice on women is the condition of the skin of a woman's decollate. If a woman has a lot of sun damage and wrinkles a low neckline is actually painful to see. My husband always notices that.

Honored Contributor

Many older women have fine looking decollete - we just prefer a more ladylike way of dressing. Not everyone feels comfortable dressing like a hoochie mama.