Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Andreatoo 

The bottom gray one is lovely. 

@kate2357  I think so too. I especially like the neckline! But I think the second set is appropriate for outdoor summertime. Not as formal but still dressy

Contributor

For my daughter's beach wedding I wore a Ralph Lauren lace dress I bought at a consignment shop for $60.

Respected Contributor

@tockerman . That's 10 months from now. You have plenty of time to look around and decide on what you want. YOU know your style, height, and shape best. With the exception of one these pictures all of these dresses are shown on young, tall and very slender women. I admit I am none of these so these dresses wouldn't be for me. Talk with your daughter and find out if the wedding will be fancy or casual. Like I said lots of time to get a wonderful outfit that will be beautiful and comfortable in mid August in the mid west.

Respected Contributor

Re: mother of bride dress

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo 

I like all your suggestions.

@tockerman 

You have a lot of time to decide what you are looking for.  Even if the wedding isn't overly formal, you need something special.  Next to the bride & groom, the MOB is the most important member of the wedding.  Enjoy the preparation.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You could search Amazon for “summer mother of the bride dresses” and see what comes up. Then you could refine your search to include short dresses, cocktail dresses, tea length dresses, etc. They have a wide range of prices. I’ve gotten some very nice dresses from Amazon that I‘ve worn to weddings. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Daughter #2 had an outdoor wedding in the garden/yard of her their home.  She wanted a "garden party" feel to her wedding and she wanted the mothers in pastel floral maxi or ankle length dresses.  I actually bought my dress from HSN; I can't remember the actresses' name now but she had her own fashion website and she sold on HSN.  Maxi dresses were everywhere but I was looking for a dressy one and I found exactly what I wanted.  We are lucky in that the whole world is at our finger tips now and we don't have to guess at these things.  Ask your daughter about her preferred colors and ask her to print off a few examples of what she wants you to wear.  She's your daughter so it would be a fun thing for the two of you to shop for your dress together.  As price, that's relative.  I can't answer that because I don't know what price range you are interested in.  "Cost a lot" means different things to different people.

Esteemed Contributor

Dillard's (available everywhere in the midwest) has a large selection of Mother of the Bride dresses/gowns. Since your daughter prefers navy, I'd follow her request. She is the Bride!

Tip: Make sure your outfit is similar to the other dresses in the wedding party in fabric and style for a cohesive look in the photos. Your daughter will be a big help in the final selection. Take her shopping with you!  

You have many months to find the perfect dress, but will probably find the right thing on website (and maybe on sale this time of year for a summer wedding next year). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@tockerman . That's 10 months from now. You have plenty of time to look around and decide on what you want. YOU know your style, height, and shape best. With the exception of one these pictures all of these dresses are shown on young, tall and very slender women. I admit I am none of these so these dresses wouldn't be for me. Talk with your daughter and find out if the wedding will be fancy or casual. Like I said lots of time to get a wonderful outfit that will be beautiful and comfortable in mid August in the mid west.

That depends.

If the OP is going to go to a better department store and buy ready made off the rack, yes she has plenty of time.

I went looking for my MOB dress in April.  I didn't know how long it would take for me to find something that I truly loved and thought maybe it was a little too early for a November wedding.   In my case it wasn't too early because it had to be special ordered for me and then altered.  I picked it up yesterday.  The wedding is in 2 weeks. 

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Something like these?

6721907adcca76f0db77032e00d07f5a.jpg

fb7d290773e7f3bbfc39acacf76cbf51.jpg

I would love to wear either one of these if I could have them altered so that the hemline was all one length - without ruining the line of the dress. They're stylish and IMHO 10000000% better than those awful jacket dresses. I remember shopping with my Mom when she needed a dress for my sister's wedding and the first thing she said at every store was "do NOT show me anything beige and do NOT show me jacket dresses"!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@tockermanDo you have a David's Bridal? I found a great dress and a great price when our son got married.