Honored Contributor

Re: mother of bride dress

[ Edited ]

Yea @tockerman   I'm with @RoughDraft  on that one.

Are you petite, average or tall?

Let's start at the top of the dress.  Do you like crew neck, boat neck, v-neck?

As far as arm coverage.  Do you like sleeveless, cap sleeve, short sleeve, elbow sleeve, 3/4 sleeve?  I know it's gonna be hot - I live in Michigan.  You can go longer sleeve like 3/4 if sleeve is sheer.  

If you prefer a sleeve do you like a simple sleeve, flutter sleeve, bell sleeve?

Fit - do you like a fitted dress, a more straight up and down sheath dress or a fit and flare dress (fuller skirt).

How about fabric details.  Do you want a clean simple fabric or is some sparkle, glitter or lace your thing?  Are they any fabrics that you find itchy or annoying?

What kind of shoes are we talking about?  Some dresses lend themselves better to a heel.

I'm so caught up in dress details I forgot what you said about the location of the wedding - inside, outside?  Will there be a reception or dinner for guests afterwards? 

Are there colors that make you feel beautiful, fabulous and look good on you?

Would you prefer a dress that could be worn again that doesn't scream mother of the bride?

I know this is alot ot ask but we need to know to help you Woman Happy

Incidentally, congratulations. Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

i am going to be a mother of the bride next year also.

i have decided to do palazzo pants instead of a dress.

i just now need to find a dressy top or a simple tank with a beaded jacket.

not sure if i am going with black or navy (my daughter wants me to be in navy, but i love black.) i purchased both so my bottom half is prepared. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@tockerman   I recommend that you check out JCPenney's website for dresses.  Once you are in the dresses area of the website one of the options is wedding occasion and if you check mother of the bride, you can get an idea of the dresses they sell.  Right now the colors being sold are dark because we're in fall/winter.  You can get an idea of the different styles out there.  Once you get a feel for the kind of dress you like once the seasons change, next spring you can go back and check the lighter colors.

You can get a pretty dress and not break the bank.  These are from JCP.

For example, here's one that starts at $90 and when the coupons are on at JCP, you can get it for so much less.

Jessica Howard 3/4 Sleeve Glitter Jacket Dress

This one is a little short for my taste however I find it pretty

R & M Richards 3/4 Sleeve Jacket Dress with Necklace

This one is pretty - without jacket

R&M Richards 3/4 Sleeve Lace Chiffon Jacket Dress

with jacket

This one is on clearance, under $25 no joke

Here's one without the jacket

R & M Richards 3/4 Sleeve Embellished Jacket Dress

With the jacket

My point is, there are beautiful dresses out there that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama 

That last dress in blush pink color is very pretty. I like the sheer jacket with the dress. I have an outdoor, big southern wedding to attend and would give that a try for myself.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357   I like it too.  

Honored Contributor

Something like these?

6721907adcca76f0db77032e00d07f5a.jpg

fb7d290773e7f3bbfc39acacf76cbf51.jpg

Honored Contributor

Or these?

Tea-length-floral-dress-with-sleeves-for-mother-of-the-bride.jpg

2J2A9_1.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I suggest Lord & Taylor's.   I got my dress for my nephew's wedding there.  Beautiful selection and nice sales.

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo 

The bottom gray one is lovely. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@tockerman  Here is a pretty lace dress from Nordstrom for $148 in Royal Violet. Runs large order one size down.  Item # 5692846.  Also, look at Lord & Taylor as they will have more dresses at a lower price.  Nordstrom has dresses starting at around $100 but not as many.

JS COLLECTIONS Lace Cocktail Dress, Main, color, ROYAL VIOLET

kindness is strength