Respected Contributor

Re: long shirt, short jacket

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ms traditional

Nope; not according to Mr. H by Halston (Cameron Silver)

He touched on it a few times last night

@AndreaTooDaughter  interesting.  i find it draws attention to the hip area -  which i would rather not do, i guess.

Honored Contributor

For me it depends on how fitted the long top/blouse is. If the top is loose-fitting I'd rather tuck. If the top is fitted and close to the body then it would be okay to leave untucked and let it show below a shorter jacket without the bulk.

Honored Contributor

All of my jackets as well as sweaters are at least waist length.  I'll layer as much as high hip for the longer piece.

To layer longer pieces seem to look better on ladies taller than myself at 5'6".  There's a key to working with proportion.

Respected Contributor

Regardless of how long anything is, the look is absolutely sloppy and unkept to me.  I would never wear it, nor have I seen anyone in my circle of family and friends who do.  However, I know that many of you have bought into that look, and now that things are beginning to change you're stuck with those short jackets.  Sorry. Wear them if you like.  Happily I don't have any.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup

Short jackets are worn regardless of a long shirt underneath....

Honored Contributor

I don't care how long it has been or will be around, it looks sloppy to me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

For me ... it just depends on the types/styles/proportions of the pieces.  For instance, I'd never wear a standard cardigan over a LOGO top.  But, I will wear a coccoon sweater/shrug over LOGO.

I like mismatched hemliine shapes over one another.

And, I like short sleeves over long sleeves.  I buy my layering turtlenecks a size smaller so I have a really snug sleeves under tops with shorter or rolled up sleeves.

Honored Contributor

I think that short over long has been in for a few years now but it's pretty much out now.  I did it but I never really liked it.  I did it just because it was current and they weren't making many longer jackets and blazers.  All the jackets and sweaters were "hip short" and honestly, it wasn't my best look.  Now I am looking at the fashion magazines and what HSN and QVC are selling and it seems like that "hip short" short over long look is over.  Sure, we'll still see it because women aren't going to replace their entire wardrobes and some women like that look but at last those of us who don't like it have options.  It's like the return of the bootcut pant.  Skinnies aren't going anywhere but there are options for those of us who don't like skinnies.  

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

clean shirt, new shoes, and I don't know where I'm going to....

But I digress

How do you feel about the shirts extending beyond the hem of a jacket, sweater, etc.?

Call me a traditionalist but I don't like it..maybe because I'm fond of structure and the mismatched layers is the antithesis of it....

I like it but it has to be the right shirt.  I don't like just any shirt with a short jacket over it.

I don't tuck shirts ever.  I like short (not shrunken) jackets but I am bottom heavy.  I could never wear that look without having a longer shirt hanging out.

I won't wear a shirt that is mid-thigh with a short jacket and I don't like shirts that come to a point on one side under a short jacket.  Come to think of it, I don't really care for an assymetrical hem shirt under a short jacket. 

Everything has to be just right.      

Respected Contributor

It just is not a look that I feel looks right on me and a lot of other people.  I sometimes wear a top that is a little longer than my jacket, but not much longer. I think a lot of layers just looks sloppy on most people. My jackets are different lengths. I do wear long tops, but not several layers of long over long over long, etc. Having said that, I love seeing young women and girls rocking trends. That is the time to enjoy "trending". I am still young in mind, but the body is just getting older looking (my vision is still good), so I am picky. If I don't like how I look....I do not wear it, but I still want to try new things to make that decision. By the way, I have an hour glass figure and I am about 5'2".

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.