Valued Contributor

I definitely have the impression that it wasn't a very large group at all.  The same people posted photos over and over again.  There was no large group photo, which I thought was interesting. Since they are a "Tribe", one would think they would like a photo

The few images of Lisa giving presentations were also weird. No candids of the audience whatsoever.  Typically, when people are spending this kind of money for an event,  there is a photographer there to capture the moments, as it can be used as a marketing tool down the line and the participants can purchases the photots for momentos.

All that aside, I cannot image going from PA to Mexico, go sailing, come home and jump right back into  a week long cruise. 

Honored Contributor

I went on this exact same cruise last summer -- July 2018.  The ship is the NCL Getaway.  My sister (who recently retired) and I went together.

The best things about this ship:

1.  Crew -- each and every single person on board acted as if it really was their responsibility to make sure we had the best time.  They were super pleasant and responsive, without being intrusive or bothersome.  Simply wonderful.

2.  Food -- the buffet, which we did for breakfast most mornings, was one of your better buffets.  Each day was a different theme from different parts of the world.  Plus, it still always had your basic made-to-order fare as well.  We ate in one of the many restuarants every night, which were good -- not great, but good.

3.  Cabin -- we had a quiet, balcony room and a magnificent sunrise  to watch every morning.

3.  Belize -- it had one of the most beautiful and huge pools I have ever seen!  Simply glorious!  The beach was in walking distance from the pool, so you could go back & forth with a quick outside shower rinse.  Loved it!

The reasons I won't go back on the same cruise:

1.  Pool -- I am a water person.  This huge ship had only two pools.  One was the kids/family pool (nice, but no thank you).  The other was a postage stamp size pool in the middle of four bars and a music stage.  It was adults only, and let me tell you they were not shy about checking to make sure you were 18 years old to be in there.  It was a party pool, with absolutely no way to actually swim or anything.  People standing in the pool with their drinks and dancing to the music.  That's fine for us for one day.  But I was so over it after that. 

There are hot tubs scattered all over the ship, but I don't do those warm petri dishes, unless I'm the first one in there very early in the morning.

2. Other Ports -- Roatan and Mexico stops were awful!  Cheesy & depressing, and absolutely nothing to do unless you purchased very expensive excursions that took all day.  I did zip-line in Roatan, which was a lot of fun.  My sister thought I was crazy.

My sister did the ship walking/running laps every morning for exercise.  I never used the elevators and took the steps between levels the entire week.  We both lost weight at the end of the cruise.

Bottom line, we had a good time, but I'd never go back on this particular cruise.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

Per the cruise line website:

For every ten passengers and five cabins, one person cruises for free.

The tribe did "pay" for Lisa and her gang to cruise for free.

This is a pretty standard deal cruise lines offer to anyone that puts a group together of the specified sie.  i have gone on trips like this with  my friends

I am sure it is a terrific way for the cruise lines to make $$ @NYCLatinaMe.   I believe most people do like to make $$ and if you can do it sunning and swimming works for me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, it's a great idea...if you need to cruise for free.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 they don't pay you, you just get to go for free.  Seems like compensation for getting the other people to go, which sounds fair to me,,,,

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@beckyb1012 they don't pay you, you just get to go for free.  Seems like compensation for getting the other people to go, which sounds fair to me,,,,

That is true @NYCLatinaMe  but I like to think anytime I get something for free is like $$ made.  Kind of like a day in the mailbox when no bill of any kind shows up, it is a good day.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, essentially Lisa helped the cruise line sell rooms but they also pushed the packages [beverage, wifi, etc.] and there is no way the cruise line will come out on the short end.  They push expensive excursions too.  The ship left each port very early so there was no chance to even try a local restaurant.

I was surprised that she did not have a photographer take individual pictures of her with each tribe member and then a group picture.

Honored Contributor

Re: lisa's cruise???

[ Edited ]

You bet most people would love to cruise for free. Heck,  I love just getting a free ice cream cone. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper Heart Thank you for your review of your cruise.  We have never been on a cruise, never really interested us, but maybe someday - who knows.  Your review was really informative.  

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I went on this exact same cruise last summer -- July 2018.  The ship is the NCL Getaway.  My sister (who recently retired) and I went together.

The best things about this ship:

1.  Crew -- each and every single person on board acted as if it really was their responsibility to make sure we had the best time.  They were super pleasant and responsive, without being intrusive or bothersome.  Simply wonderful.

2.  Food -- the buffet, which we did for breakfast most mornings, was one of your better buffets.  Each day was a different theme from different parts of the world.  Plus, it still always had your basic made-to-order fare as well.  We ate in one of the many restuarants every night, which were good -- not great, but good.

3.  Cabin -- we had a quiet, balcony room and a magnificent sunrise  to watch every morning.

3.  Belize -- it had one of the most beautiful and huge pools I have ever seen!  Simply glorious!  The beach was in walking distance from the pool, so you could go back & forth with a quick outside shower rinse.  Loved it!

The reasons I won't go back on the same cruise:

1.  Pool -- I am a water person.  This huge ship had only two pools.  One was the kids/family pool (nice, but no thank you).  The other was a postage stamp size pool in the middle of four bars and a music stage.  It was adults only, and let me tell you they were not shy about checking to make sure you were 18 years old to be in there.  It was a party pool, with absolutely no way to actually swim or anything.  People standing in the pool with their drinks and dancing to the music.  That's fine for us for one day.  But I was so over it after that. 

There are hot tubs scattered all over the ship, but I don't do those warm petri dishes, unless I'm the first one in there very early in the morning.

2. Other Ports -- Roatan and Mexico stops were awful!  Cheesy & depressing, and absolutely nothing to do unless you purchased very expensive excursions that took all day.  I did zip-line in Roatan, which was a lot of fun.  My sister thought I was crazy.

My sister did the ship walking/running laps every morning for exercise.  I never used the elevators and took the steps between levels the entire week.  We both lost weight at the end of the cruise.

Bottom line, we had a good time, but I'd never go back on this particular cruise.

@Caaareful Shopper, I am going on a Norwegian cruise and our 2 stops are Belize and Costa Maya Mexico.  I have read tons of reviews on various websites, I belong to a closed FB cruising community and I downloaded an app that has current reviews about ports and ships, etc.  

It seems people either love Belize or they hate it.  There doesn't seem to be any in between.  I didn't realize at the time of booking that Harvest Cay Belize is Norwegian's own private island but nothing on it is included in your cruise fare as it typically is with other private islands owned by the cruise line.  It looks beautiful but a lot of the reviews have said it's a money pit for Norwegian.  If we don't care for it, we can just go back to the ship.  I wish there was a way we could get off that private island and go to the actual country of Belize.

There have been a lot of people posting about their recent stop in Costa Maya and what they did that didn't involve an excursion through the cruise line.  Again, we can always just stay on the boat.  LOL

I don't usually do the pools on the ships.  I'm happy sitting in a chair on the deck but I'm not going in that water.  I know exactly what you mean.  Our previous 2 cruises featured very small pools jammed with much younger people all day long.  

And no way am I getting in any hot tub other than my own.