Contributor

I am having a hard time finding pants that don't have tight knees. As a pear shaped woman, I am used to having difficulty fitting my thighs, but I am noticing the older I get, the tighter pants are at the knees as well.  Anyone else have this problem and if so, can you share which brand/type of pants you have had success with?  Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Re: knees too tight in pants

@Poohki

I sometimes find skinny jeans are snug in the knee. 

I tend to wear straight leg pants/jeans/cords and do okay from the knee perspective.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor

I should have mentioned that I am not trying to wear skinny jeans, but I usually look for bootcut or straight.  The problem usually comes when I sit down.  I hate feeling that pants are pulling in the knee area. 

Honored Contributor

@Poohki

For me, it happens with jeans that have way too much spandex in them.  Today, I'm wearing a pair of men's wranglers lol, that are 100% cotton, and no tugging at the knee.  When I wear my stylus bootcut jeans (JCP) they snug up at the knee.

I find myself getting sick of all the spandex in pants.  The one exception is what little amount is in my yoga pants - then again, they are looser legged.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

YES, YES, YES!!!!

I get so frustrated with so many skinny jeans!  My legs are heavier than I like, and my right knee has a (for lack of a better description) a "bag of fat" on the inner side.  It really affects getting pants to look right.  I have recently lost 35 pounds and have gone down a couple of sizes to a 12, BUT, I'm still having problems with that area.  Will skinny pants ever go out of style? Lol. 

Honored Contributor

I have full legs too, so I can relate.  I buy pants that have stretch in them or are good quility ponte knit.  I wear straigt leg pants or wide leg pants. But you do have to be careful with "wide leg"; some are a nice full leg while others are a palazzo, which I do not want.  I do wear bootcut jeans but they must have lots of stretch in them.  QF is my go-to jean.  Isaac made a great ponte knit full leg pant.  It had a jeans=like top and came in number sizing.  I love those pants because the leg is classic and not too wide. It's a challenge for our body type and it takes a little shopping around but you will find the designer and fit that you are looking for.  And then you stick with it.  I do buy almost all of my pants from QVC.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm no skinny  minnie  but I must say I've never tried a pair of pants that were too tight in the legs.   Maybe some wide-leg pants?   Bob Mackie often has them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Oh yes, I have this problem as well. Vendors, not all of us have skinny legs! I wear straight or wide or  a curvy pant when I can find. Bootcut usually does not work unless there is a lot of spandex.  As far as brands, jeans I have had good luck with Levis 529. Also, Eddie Bauer sells curvy pants and jeans (they are cut a little larger through the legs) that work well-sign up for their emails as they are expensive when not on sale. JcPenney Worthington used to sell curvy pants also, although I have not bought from there in a while. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poohki wrote:

I am having a hard time finding pants that don't have tight knees. As a pear shaped woman, I am used to having difficulty fitting my thighs, but I am noticing the older I get, the tighter pants are at the knees as well.  Anyone else have this problem and if so, can you share which brand/type of pants you have had success with?  Thanks!!

*******************I am a pear shape and I find that the more narrow the ankle, the more narrow the whole pant.

New Contributor

Yes, I can help you because I am also pear-shaped and had struggled for years trying to find pants that comfortably fit my shape.  To make finding suitable pants even harder, I am a 1X, but I am only 5'1" tall, so I had to have a petite size which made my search even harder.  I totally understand the "knee" problem since I have to deal with the same issue.  Gravity is a woman's worst enemy.  Anyway, my waist is propotionately smaller than my hips, so if I bought pants that fit my hips and thighs, they would be too big in the waist.  I could go on and on about the number of pants I tried on in department stores, IF I was lucky enough to even find pants in my size.  I had tried several pairs of QVC pants, including the "famous" Denim & Co. two pocket pants that have an elastic waist and come in a gazillion colors.  Of course, those pants don't work for someone who is pear-shaped like us.  Well, one day, I was watching a Denim & Co. show, and they presented a pair of pants I had never seen before.  What I noticed immediately about those pants is that they have straight legs and there is an attached d-ring belt at the waist that I could tighten if I needed to.  So, I ordered a pair in my petite 1X Denim & Co. size.  I didn't have any high expectations, but I was still in the hunt for some pants I could wear and wasn't constantly reminded how ill-fitting most pants were for me, especially when I was sitting down and then standing up.  I always had to reach under my top to pull up my pants.  So when these pants arrived and I tried them on, I just about fell over because they fit so well in every single way, incluing the knees.  AND, yes, I tightened the tab belt, and WOW, I just couldn't believe it when I sat down and the pants fit so comfortably in the knees, and when I stood up, I didn't have to pull up my pants!  To make these pants even more unbelievable, they had a sliming affect that made me feel so good.  I could go on and on, but this reply is longer than I intended. 

So, try Denim & Co. A69558 "How Timeless" Petite Stretch Denim Pull-On Pants.  If you need a regular length for these pants, the number is A04426, and if you need a tall length, the number is A69563.   The legs on these pants are straight and fuller than other pants sold on QVC.  They are also stretchy with some spandex in them.  If you read the reviews, a few people complain about how big the legs are, and others say they cut off the tab belt; however, most people love these pants just the way they are and give them a 5-Star rating.  You will also find that these pants come in several colors.  A couple of them look just like denim, but they aren't.  Also, I ended up sizing down to a large to have an even better fit since these pants are so stretchy.  I would suggest, however, that you start with your usual Denim & Co. size.  

This is the first reply I have ever written, but I just could not ignore your request for help since I totally understand your problem and the futility of ever finding any pants that are suitable.  I wish Gary would show these pants more often and tell the listeners that these pants would comfortably fit a pear-shaped size or someone with fuller legs.  Some people buy them and then leave a bad review, complaining that the legs are too big.  On the other hand, several reviewers ask Gary to never quit making these pants because they fit so well.  These are the ONLY pants I wear now.  I have one pair in each color and several in black and navy.  I have written to Gary and requested more colors.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope you try these pants and find that they work as well for you  as they do for me.  Good luck.