Super Contributor

Re: just might have to make my FIRST GILI purchase!

Does anyone else think this dress can actually make the wearer look wider and not slimming?? Seems as though Lisa is positioned in a sideways view to distract the eye of looking broader. There's a reason for everythingSmiley Happy

I own quite a few GILI items and have been happy with all (jackets & jewelry). Don't think GILI is meant for everyone though just like anything else. Seems the line is cut on the smaller side for which I am grateful as most Q's XXS are too big for me. I really enjoy Lisa is bring more stylish & on trend items to the Q. Think GILI targets more of the younger crowd.

Another item just received is the linen & faux leather jacket and it fits me great!! Love it! Perfect transitional piece. It's a fitted look and that's what I love about most about it.

Honored Contributor

If I could wear this I would get it in a minute. Very figure flattering.

Respected Contributor

On 3/6/2014 TrailBlazer05 said:

Does anyone else think this dress can actually make the wearer look wider and not slimming?? Seems as though Lisa is positioned in a sideways view to distract the eye of looking broader. There's a reason for everythingSmiley Happy

I own quite a few GILI items and have been happy with all (jackets & jewelry). Don't think GILI is meant for everyone though just like anything else. Seems the line is cut on the smaller side for which I am grateful as most Q's XXS are too big for me. I really enjoy Lisa is bring more stylish & on trend items to the Q. Think GILI targets more of the younger crowd.

Another item just received is the linen & faux leather jacket and it fits me great!! Love it! Perfect transitional piece. It's a fitted look and that's what I love about most about it.

Trailblazer05, I'm with you. I have always disagreed with the sales pitch that the three-panel construction is slimming. The more you break the plane of view into pieces, the wider the eye perceives it to be. For the same reason, I find double breasted anything to be most unflattering. All it does it create a square or rectangle punctuated a bunch of buttons in the middle, with the buttons in a square or rectangle!

I first saw that dress in the video where Lisa was previewing another item from the GILI line (don't remember what it was). I was stunned at how thick she looked. I believe that the most slimming construction if you are looking for trompe l'oiel is a center seam and monochromatic coloring.

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2014 sunshine45 said:

i have a curvy figure so i am hoping this works.....like both versions.....the black and the navy. i also like the material AND that she did a lining in this. i am willing to take a chance. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I think it will look great. I think it will be a very slimming dress because of the darker color on the sides.

I have a knit dress from a few years ago from the Colleen Lopez Collection. It has the black panels down the sides and right under the bust and the rest of the dress is a solid color. It is uber slimming. Everytime I wear it, someone asks me if I've lost weight. The black really creates a skinny effect.

If I wouldn't look ridiculous, I'd wear the thing everyday! LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't buy from LR so I wouldn't buy GILI, but aside from that there seems to be complaints about quality.

Contributor

On 3/7/2014 baker said:

I don't buy from LR so I wouldn't buy GILI, but aside from that there seems to be complaints about quality.

The GILI quality based on my personal experience is great. The items I purchased are very well made and stylish. With GILI, I find that even the reviews are unreliable because there are some viewers that review items they have not purchased only because they hate the vendor. Others come to the boards to knock the merchandize without ever having first hand experience with it. Somebody like the above poster seems to feel the need to opine on the quality of the entire GILI line without having ever seen it or tried it.

I purchased a pair of GILI platform sandals when they were first presented that have very mixed reviews (actually more bad than good) that are beautiful, well made and very comfortable. A lot of the negative reviews state that the sandal is unstable and not comfortable. This is totally not the case for me and I actually ordered a second pair.

I own many high end shoes so, it is not from lack of having experienced "good" shoes that I find these GILI sandals great but because of it.

I digressed, so back to the subject of the dress ; if you like it and the dress is your style I would try it for myself.

Honored Contributor

I didn't like it on. It was an odd juxtaposition of pattern/colors.

I liked the online shot better. It did appear a bit ""penguinish"".

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"