Esteemed Contributor

Re: jill bauer's broken ribs???

The pain threshold may vary, but broken ribs are uncomfortable even with minimal pain.  Boy, QVC is going through a rough patch with the hosts health and well-being right now.  I'm thinking about Carolyn, Lisa Mason, and I could have sworn I heard Jacqui  talking about an injury the other day, and now Jill.  I wish them all the best Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

The pain threshold may vary, but broken ribs are uncomfortable even with minimal pain.  Boy, QVC is going through a rough patch with the hosts health and well-being right now.  I'm thinking about Carolyn, Lisa Mason, and I could have sworn I heard Jacqui  talking about an injury the other day, and now Jill.  I wish them all the best Woman Happy

I know Jacqui's brother-in-law was having surgery for an illness.  I'm not sure what but she was asking for prayers and said his health was declining.  She said they may be headed back to Alaska.   I believe her mother has been having some medical issues too. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

They do not normally put a cast on fractured ribs. That would restrict breathing and could lead to pneumonia. Fractured ribs are usually extremely painful, and pain medication does not do a heck of a lot to relieve that pain.

It is not a matter of Jill having a low pain threshold.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I've never broken ribs, thankfully, but I know a few people who have and they took quite awhile to heal and they were very, very painful according to them.  And there was no cast they put on for them.  I believe one of them had the area rapped but that was it. 

Really?  To what song?  By Ice-T? Jay-Z?

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I've never broken ribs, thankfully, but I know a few people who have and they took quite awhile to heal and they were very, very painful according to them.  And there was no cast they put on for them.  I believe one of them had the area rapped but that was it. 

Really?  To what song?  By Ice-T? Jay-Z?

Rapping on broken ribs....that must have been very painful...lol    I think she meant to say wrapped...lol

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

We all have different thresholds of pain - mine is pretty low. I went to Target one day and became a target. I was bending over slightly to pick up something on a lower shelf when a boy about 6 or 7 came flying around the aisle pushing a shopping cart backwards - the handle jammed into my rib cage, breaking four ribs. Like when I broke some in high school tumbling, the pain was awful. One didn't heal just right, and it "nails" me several times a year. You can't do anything with cracked or broken ribs - every time you moveor even breathe it hurts. For me it's major pain!  Kudos to Jill for even showing up.

I cracked ribs years ago when I was in my early thirties and it took months for them to heal, I also got terrible muscle spasms.Like Jill, I had to work and believe me it was no fun!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Was it hard for her to move in the body cast?

I doubt she has a cast at all. I've broken a rib twice and they don't generally put a cast on it, they usually just wrap you up in an Ace bandage for some support and to remind you to be careful. A cast is to set a bone in place and keep it from moving out of alignment so that it doesn't regrow to be crooked. You can't do that with a rib bone - they "float" by nature. Most ribs aren't broken so much as cracked and heal without assistance.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Was it hard for her to move in the body cast?

I doubt she has a cast at all. I've broken a rib twice and they don't generally put a cast on it, they usually just wrap you up in an Ace bandage for some support and to remind you to be careful. A cast is to set a bone in place and keep it from moving out of alignment so that it doesn't regrow to be crooked. You can't do that with a rib bone - they "float" by nature. Most ribs aren't broken so much as cracked and heal without assistance.

I broke 3 ribs in a fall.  I wasn't even given an Ace bandage, let alone a body cast.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember that while in high school, one of my friend's father broke some ribs.  I saw him several times and he was in pain, but soon developed a terrible cough.   Then he was really in intense pain!!

Honored Contributor

I fractured my ribs once and the pain was unbearable.  I had to rest lying down to heal.

kindness is strength