Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I have sewn all my life (well, since Jr. High).... and I still can't make something for less than I can buy it~!  The big problem for me is that the fabrics and notions used on ready made clothing is usually very cheaply made.  I know they (the manufacturers) are pushing the thin, thin, poorly loomed materials as these high-fashion-you've-got-to-have items, but they are awful and not made to last, as a matter of fact if the seams don't give way, or the fabrics shrink or you don't poke your finger through the fabric in the first five washings, you're lucky.  

So when I talk about making something, I gravitate towards the upper end fabrics that I've always used. Only now they're running $50 plus a yard to get them.  One yard is usually not enough to cut a blouse.  Plus you'll need binding, thread, buttons, a zipper or some kind of notions to finish it.  End result.... at the very least, a $75 blouse.

So yes, everything has been going up up up...  but I find some of the fashions on the Q to be reasonably priced for the most part.  I just don't like many of the fabrics used..... and they can tell me they're great until they're blue in the face, I know they're not made to last or be easy care, BUT a $40 blouse is not a bad price (still worth consideration) and still what I consider a "throw-away" item not meant to last years.... IMHO.... Woman Happy

You might be interested in my thread on quilting over in HOME

Mother in law made quilts and I think , you, as a person who sews would be interested in my pics of the quilts.