Honored Contributor

Re: interesting J Jill observation

[ Edited ]

Personally, I would never buy another item from  J Jill.   I have never seen such snooty sales personnel.  Last spring/summer, I had been in the hospital for kidney issues.  I was coming home from the hospital that day, so I decided on leaving I would dress so I could run by their store and Chico's which is not far away at my mall and pick out some a few summer clothes.

As I was checking out, I needed to use empty my bladder. ( As stated, been in hospital with kidney issues).  I asked if they had a bathroom I could use and the clerk looked at the manager and then she looked at me and as I was turning, I saw her wink her eye at the sale clerk and nod sheepishly "No."  The clerk then grinned and told me "no, we don't let strangers use our bathroom."  I took it to mean they thought I was beneath using the  same bathroom.  

I was the best dressed and probably the cleanest in appearance of the personnel including sales, in the store.  I let them to ahead and add my stuff up and then when it was time to pay, I said, "oh, I forgot, I need to use the bathroom and I don't have a credit card or debit card on me.  I need to go home and use the bathroom and I will be back with my debit card."  

I walked out of the store, merchandise on counter (over $600) and I will never enter their doors again.  I walked several doors down and used Chico's, where I spent my $1000 allowance for the day.

Respected Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Personally, I would never buy another item from  J Jill.   I have never seen such snooty sales personnel.  Last spring/summer, I had been in the hospital for kidney issues.  I was coming home from the hospital that day, so I decided on leaving I would dress so I could run by their store and Chico's which is not far away at my mall and pick out some a few summer clothes.

As I was checking out, I needed to use empty my bladder. ( As stated, been in hospital with kidney issues).  I asked if they had a bathroom I could use and the clerk looked at the manager and then she looked at me and as I was turning, I saw her wink her eye at the sale clerk and nod sheepishly "No."  The clerk then grinned and told me "no, we don't let strangers use our bathroom."  I took it to mean they thought I was beneath using the  same bathroom.  

I was the best dressed and probably the cleanest in appearance of the personnel including sales, in the store.  I let them to ahead and add my stuff up and then when it was time to pay, I said, "oh, I forgot, I need to use the bathroom and I don't have a credit card or debit card on me.  I need to go home and use the bathroom and I will be back with my debit card."  

I walked out of the store, merchandise on counter (over $600) and I will never enter their doors again.  I walked several doors down and used Chico's, where I spent my $1000 allowance for the day.

OMG.  First of all, I think it there is no justification for refusing a restroom to someone in need.  Even if they thought they had to reserve its use to customers, what could they have been thinking in your case?

I absolutely agree.  I wouldn't have spent $10 - let alone $600 in a store that refused - and even smiled about refusing - me in this way.  I would have also contacted their corporate office and complained.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I stopped shopping at LOFT for the same reason. Giant sale/clearance signs outside the store. Once you choose a few items & get to the register, you find out the sale only applies to,previously marked down items, % off only on sweaters if you purchase 2....more conditions that ever listed on sign. Got disgusted and put everything back. I agree. Either put things on sale or not. Don't keep changing the rules.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday

Did you walk by the store with all your bags, Pretty Woman style, saying 'huge mistake!'

lol

Valued Contributor

3/4 of my clothing is JJill and I do tend to pay full price when new collection arrives, smaller sizes sell,out quickly at my store.  I do love when they run a promotion though,  of course pick up more items!  

Valued Contributor

I'm not familiar with that store but am really irritated by Macy's. You know how sometimes when you buy online that vendor or the products follow you around the computer. If there is a way to block this please tell me. I may have mentioned this already. Any how bought some cardigans for GD, they were on sale for $19 reduced from $49. Every day this pop up follows me and the same items go up and or down in price. The price changes anywhere from $49 to $16, and various prices in between. Really doesn't give me any confidence in how Macy's does business. Does this happen to anyone else?

Valued Contributor

I signed up for Ebates and got my Big Fat Check last week. They call it BFC not me. Anyhow it's an interesting marketing technique. It actually pays the % off that the store advertises. Plus it was kinda fun.

Contributor

I, too, bought some of the J Jill sweaters and tunic tops after Christmas when they were 40% off.  Today everything including sale items were 30% off.  It's almost like playing a game; one day they are 40% off and another day 30% off.  I guess we buyers are suppose to wait and hit it lucky with the most percentage off.  I still like their clothes, though.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a big JJill shopper and, after shopping with them a while, have kind of learned a little of the game:

Expect sale items to have an extra % off for any holiday weekend.  If I want to purchase a sale item, I usually wait.

Their new line comes out approximately the 3rd week of the month.  So that's when to expect markdowns on older items.

I always check out Retailmenot to see what, if any, coupons are available.  Some times I have a better coupon than what is being offered in the store.

Today I purchased some of the newer items as there is a 30% off "sale" off everything.

I don't shop at Chico's as much as I used to, so I'm not sure if this still happens - I would see something on their website at a marked down price.  I would go to the store to purchase it and it would be regular price.  The "sale" or "marked down" price would only be on the website. Didn't like that at all.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Here's @sunshine45's blanket stitch cardigan...you made a fantastic deal sunshine!  Let's go shopping together...I can enable us and you can find the great deals lol!

blanket-stitch cardigan

@MacDUFF

i received my blanket stitch cardigan today. LOVE IT! it isnt as bulky as i was thinking it might be. it is just the perfect weight.  i like the yarn covered large sweater pin they include. a GREAT deal! keeping everything else i ordered also. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein