Honored Contributor

Re: interesting J Jill observation

does anyone own the blanket stitch cardigan that is on sale?

that one IS an additional 50% off.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I had the same experience yesterday. I went to Macy's because I had an online notice of a huge sale. I wanted to see the products before buying.

I selected a duvet cover set, towels and extra pillow cases. Got to the checkout and the employee said the sale ended the day before, that the sale was only good on line. I put the stuff back and she was surprised.

I went home and ordered on line and saved seventy percent. 

-----and they wonder why the stores are closing.

Respected Contributor

Actually,  while I love Talbots, they have their issues too.

I remember buying a suit to wear to a wedding a couple of years ago and it was 30% off regular price.  Good deal.  I ordered it.

The next day I got an email that regular price items were 40% off.  I checked my order and it had not yet been shipped.  I called to see if I could get the additional discount.  Absolutely not I was told.  Well then I'd like to cancel the order.  Absolutely not - it is "in process" and cannot be canceled.

OK I'll reorder the items (I get free shipping - I am a very good customer) and return the 30% off suit to the store.  No problem.

What???  But that ends up costing you money.  Well that's our policy.

When I returned the suit to the store, the sales rep said this type of return was not at all unusual.

In my opinion, that's just dumb.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45

No, but I've tried it on a few times lol!  It's very, very nice.  But huge, which is not unusual for poncho-type tops (for me, anyway).  I might have to call my local JJill store to see if they have it in sm/med...the xs/s might be too tight in the arms.  It's beautiful and would be warm enough in most climates except maybe the frozen north.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45

No, but I've tried it on a few times lol!  It's very, very nice.  But huge, which is not unusual for poncho-type tops (for me, anyway).  I might have to call my local JJill store to see if they have it in sm/med...the xs/s might be too tight in the arms.  It's beautiful and would be warm enough in most climates except maybe the frozen north.

thanks.....LOL that put me over the edge. Woman Wink

with the extra 50% off it will be only $25. a great deal.....plus my extra 5% off with my jjill card.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Maybe I am just missing something but when a sale is over...it's over.  The sales associates don't make that decision, it's a corporate decision and they can't play favorites with customers. 

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

got the blanket stitch cardigan.

also on the extra 50% off sale, picked up two tops and two scarves.

found an extra $20 off of an $80 purchase coupon.

i was able to get 5 items for a total of $78 (including shipping).

not too bad!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm not a huge J Jill shopper.  Literally have just a few things from them, but I stopped in after Christmas and bought a few things- some Olivia pullovers on clearance and a new shirt for spring/summer that I absolutely can't wait to wear.  I love it.

The sale items were marked down and then there was an additional 40% off of that.  Good deal.

Anyway.... yesterday morning I decided to go back to J Jill and look through their sale again.  I'd decided to get another Olivia pullover if they still had them and who knows what else.

First a note, I was the only customer in the store and they had rack upon rack of sale items.  As my mom used to say "the shelves were groaning with merchandise."  I found another Olivia pullover and one other item, again, from the sale stock.  I tried them on and went to pay for them.  "There's an additional percentage off on these, right?" I asked.  Sales associate said "no, that promotion ended yesterday".

I thought that was bizarre.  The winter clothes are on clearance, you've had them on clearance since Christmas, you STILL have a ton of clothes in there that aren't moving, customers aren't exactly lined up in the store, and you essentially RAISE the prices????  

Might just be me, but at this point, doesn't a company want to move the merchandise out?

Anyway, I politely thanked her and put both items back on the table and rack.  That seemed to surprise her.

I'll never understand retail.  They're probably a few days out from sending all those clothes to wherever their liquidation spot is.  Maybe they'll make more money from them.

I buy 99% of my clothes from Talbots and I guess I'm just more famiiar with them.  Once it goes on clearance, the price doesn't go back up.

@gidgetgh,

After working at Chicos for a season, I'm not surprised.  

Sales do come in cycles at these stores.  The mgrs get the info in a morning email.  Those cycles also bring you in to see other merchandise as well as items from the new catalog.

The web site is treated as another store as far as sales.  We couldn't sell it for their price that day.  I'm thinking they want to sell some but not all of their stock since when you place a web order it comes from the store if the warehouse is out.

Also, if they can lead you to order they save alot of overhead costs.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

TWC? The White Castle?

No wonder you're having trouble! You're trying to buy clothes where you get your burgers!

Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Here's @sunshine45's blanket stitch cardigan...you made a fantastic deal sunshine!  Let's go shopping together...I can enable us and you can find the great deals lol!

blanket-stitch cardigan

And, @gidgetgh's Olivia sweater (I picked the Prussian Blue, which was my favorite JJill color this season)...

Olivia pullover

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~