Honored Contributor

interesting J Jill observation

I'm not a huge J Jill shopper.  Literally have just a few things from them, but I stopped in after Christmas and bought a few things- some Olivia pullovers on clearance and a new shirt for spring/summer that I absolutely can't wait to wear.  I love it.

The sale items were marked down and then there was an additional 40% off of that.  Good deal.

Anyway.... yesterday morning I decided to go back to J Jill and look through their sale again.  I'd decided to get another Olivia pullover if they still had them and who knows what else.

First a note, I was the only customer in the store and they had rack upon rack of sale items.  As my mom used to say "the shelves were groaning with merchandise."  I found another Olivia pullover and one other item, again, from the sale stock.  I tried them on and went to pay for them.  "There's an additional percentage off on these, right?" I asked.  Sales associate said "no, that promotion ended yesterday".

I thought that was bizarre.  The winter clothes are on clearance, you've had them on clearance since Christmas, you STILL have a ton of clothes in there that aren't moving, customers aren't exactly lined up in the store, and you essentially RAISE the prices????  

Might just be me, but at this point, doesn't a company want to move the merchandise out?

Anyway, I politely thanked her and put both items back on the table and rack.  That seemed to surprise her.

I'll never understand retail.  They're probably a few days out from sending all those clothes to wherever their liquidation spot is.  Maybe they'll make more money from them.

I buy 99% of my clothes from Talbots and I guess I'm just more famiiar with them.  Once it goes on clearance, the price doesn't go back up.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: interesting J Jill observation

wait until the weekend it will be on sale again

Regular Contributor

Its been continuosly on sale on their website.  Ive ordered quite a few things at an 30% then 40% and now they are 50% off all sale items.  Not sure why that happened in the store. 

Respected Contributor

The price didn't go up, the additional discount on the clearance price went away.  This has been the norm in b&m and on-line and tv shopping channels for a long long time now.  There will be another "sale" as jackthebear said, probably this weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Leelee1123 wrote:

Its been continuosly on sale on their website.  Ive ordered quite a few things at an 30% then 40% and now they are 50% off all sale items.  Not sure why that happened in the store. 

@Leelee1123- for example, the Olivia is still on sale on their site and in the store, but no longer has an additional % off with it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I find that annoying.   They play too many games with prices   

Chico's is another retailer where that happens a lot.   

Esteemed Contributor

Rant for the day:  As if I don't have enough irritation with TWC and their "promotions!"  At least with TWC I can call them, go thru voice message he%%, hold for half an hour, rant for another half hour, and maybe get the promotional price reinstated.  JJill and others promote their product and their company and then pull it back thereby promoting irritation in their customers.  Who thought of this idea?  I guess it's a version of the flash sale??  Whatever it is, I don't like it!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

Love j Jill but I agree their on and off again sales drive me insane
Trusted Contributor

I had an email from them today saying 50% off all sale items......for today only.

Honored Contributor

the olivia sweater is on sale for $39.99 (reduced from $69.00.)

today, online only, it is an additional 50% off certain sale items, but the olivia sweater is not part of that sale.

i love the look and quality of jjill clothing. picked up quite a few pieces this season and received some for gifts this christmas. i pretty much never buy full price from them. i always wait for a sale and i love their sale on sale. now that this thread is here i will have to go through and look. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein