Honored Contributor

Re: interesting J Jill observation

Years ago when I worked in retail, when an item went on sale, we took a red pen through the original price, then wrote the sale price.  We never used percent off signs.  Once an item was marked down, it never went back up in price.  Then again,  items were on sale only at the end of the season.  While it seemed like a good system, there were "thieves" who used their own red pens to change the prices on full price items.  This was why it was important for all clerks to know the merchandise and also know how to read the printed ticket. (which indicated when the item was received in stock)

Today sales and prices change from day to day.  If something is on sale today, it may not be on sale tomorrow, but it could be on sale Thursday. Just wait.

Respected Contributor

Re: interesting J Jill obs."ervation

I think the fluctuating prices day to day also can create ill will.

Back to Talbots.  Last week they had a flash sale with additional percentage off their markdowns plus 10% off for their credit card holders.  Their website was problematic to say the least.  So they reoffered the flash sale the next day to "make up for the website problems."  Except this time they only offered an additional 5% off for use of their credit card. 

Yes, of course, they can do whatever they want, but it annoyed me enough to not make the purchase I had been unable to complete due to their website problems.

Oh well.

Maybe I'm just a very unusual shopper, but when I see an item priced higher than it was sold for on another date, I'm just not going to buy it.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer

ITA... It is so irritating that I will not purchase at a higher price... no way, no how!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

I had the same experience yesterday. I went to Macy's because I had an online notice of a huge sale. I wanted to see the products before buying.

I selected a duvet cover set, towels and extra pillow cases. Got to the checkout and the employee said the sale ended the day before, that the sale was only good on line. I put the stuff back and she was surprised.

I went home and ordered on line and saved seventy percent. 

-----and they wonder why the stores are closing.

the discrepancy between in store and online is one thing that annoys me, and I wish stores would correct.

Perhaps they have not figured out that shoppers are looking at both, do a sale or don't do it, but don't have a sale in store or on line. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

That annoys me when there is an online sale and they won't honor it in store.   They should 

Honored Contributor

I was shocked the first time I caught on to the cheaper on line phenomenon!

I was shopping at Nordstrom's and really liked this sleeveless top I found.

It was 70+ and I'm not paying that for what's basically a tank!

I don't remember why, maybe I was going to post it here, but I was perusing the website the same day and found the top for 20 less! Still pricey for a tank but that just blew me away!

Is there any reason to shop in the stores? My friend says you can get the online price in the store but that seems a lot of trouble.....

Esteemed Contributor

FYI:  @sunshine45's JJill blanket stitch cardi is now at a 30% discount.  If you decided to sleep on it (like I did) and didn't get it yesterday at the 50% discount...hahaha on you.  Now I'm just annoyed...

Image result for no sale images

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

NJg---shoot, i dont do ebates, but that would have been nice. Kicking myself that I didn't buy and extra set of towels.

Valued Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I was shocked the first time I caught on to the cheaper on line phenomenon!

I was shopping at Nordstrom's and really liked this sleeveless top I found.

It was 70+ and I'm not paying that for what's basically a tank!

I don't remember why, maybe I was going to post it here, but I was perusing the website the same day and found the top for 20 less! Still pricey for a tank but that just blew me away!

Is there any reason to shop in the stores? My friend says you can get the online price in the store but that seems a lot of trouble.....

Nordstrom will price match any store's price for the same item. 

Valued Contributor

I haven't shopped in a j jill store in years. There was an event several years ago - a sale night complete with wine. Servers dressed in crisp white shirts served the shoppers wine. I went a little overboard there, and then went across the mall to the Coach store. When the Coach cashier thanked me, I told her she ought to thank j jill. Do they still have those events???    ....good times.....