Honored Contributor

Re: if dooney and bourke never wear out why own so many

I have just under 30 Dooney & Bourke handbags...LOVE them all! I only paid full QVC price for one handbag (it was exclusive to QVC - A216244). All my other D&B bags/totes I got either at an 'as is' price, or with a GREAT sale price elsewhere with FREE S&H...either at Belk, Macy's, or the D&B website during the Holiday season when they had specials {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We also just finished our taxes this year. Our total donations of various charities reached over $15,000...to our local homeless shelter/battered women's shelter (I do a lot of extreme couponing to help them out...to me, lots of my free time 'volunteering' with that aspect which I enjoy), Goodwill, Salvation Army, libraries, National Parks, several wildlife associations, ASPCA, local children's zoo, American Cancer Society...and I think one or 2 others I can't think of off hand.

Things that bring me joy are birding, gardening, home decorating, reading, helping charities, and having a nice collection of handbags.

Several years ago I collected art glass like Fenton, vintage/antique depression glass, etc. These are all things that bring me happiness.

We don't have kids or grandkids...I couldn't have children. Isn't life supposed to be filled with things that bring us joy?

When DH retires, we hope to move out to the country and travel some...life is good Smile

Frequent Contributor

I have dozens of Dooneys..I enjoy them all. Many of them are Disney Dooneys,my Mom bought me my first classic Dooney in 1991 ..a few of mine are 20 years old and still gorgeous. It's my thing. Well one of my things.
Honored Contributor

Bumping for ruddietee

Contributor

Should we not eat dinner tonight because so many in the world are starving? We cannot live our lives denying ourselves what we are fortunate enough to have because of those who do not. Then no one will be happy.

That said, I have rolled my eyes on occasion hearing some of the callers, and even the hosts on QVC talk about the amount of stuff they own. I do realize, though, that it's their money and my opinion doesn't matter. Life is short, good for them. I just wish I had the lifestyle to warrant having three closets full of clothes, handbags and shoes. I'm retired and just don't need that much. However, like any woman, I love to shop and when I see something I must have, I DO buy it. Smile

Honored Contributor

I don't need assistance, thank goodness, so I can afford to buy as many affordable D&B purses I would like!

I normally get mine for Birthday or Christmas gifts, so over a period of years, I've accumulated a few!

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why owning a lot of Dooney & Bourkes would negate giving to help those in need. I'm fairly certain that you can help those in need AND collect Dooneys.... or whatever it is that you wish to collect.

For some ladies, collecting handbags is like any collection you strive for. You enjoy the materials, styles and workmanship. You switch off handbags according to whim and style. A lot of ladies collect jewelry, why would anyone need more than one ring or one bracelet? Same reason. And for men, tools, golf equipment,more tools, cars, electronics (oh boy!).... the lists can go on and on.

It's a matter of what you enjoy and what you can afford. Those ladies who believe that a woman only needs one handbag have only ever bought one handbag at a time. Those are the ladies who will find other venues that they can't resist.

And through it all there are many, many, many people who give generously to charities to help those who need it..... and all the while still buy the items they enjoy. Smile

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 wildcherry said:

Should we not eat dinner tonight because so many in the world are starving? We cannot live our lives denying ourselves what we are fortunate enough to have because of those who do not. Then no one will be happy.

That said, I have rolled my eyes on occasion hearing some of the callers, and even the hosts on QVC talk about the amount of stuff they own. I do realize, though, that it's their money and my opinion doesn't matter. Life is short, good for them. I just wish I had the lifestyle to warrant having three closets full of clothes, handbags and shoes. I'm retired and just don't need that much. However, like any woman, I love to shop and when I see something I must have, I DO buy it. Smile

I have one closet for my clothes...not a walk in or anything special. DH has his own closet too. All of my 28 handbags/totes fit into the top 1/2 of my armoire in the 'pigeon holes' and the ones that can store flat, they are in the top drawer of the armoire. I also have one dresser for things like undergarments, socks, scarves, PJ's/night clothes/lounge wear. Our home is less than 850 sq ft not including the basement.

Our home is not cluttered and I'm not a hoarder either.

Honored Contributor

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent response!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

I really love Dooneys, and yes, I have about 20. All different colors and styles. Some Winter, some Summer. Big Florentine leather satchels are my Dooney weakness, but I have some smaller bags as well. I would never buy any other brand. I change my handbag with every outfit, because I really enjoy doing so.

Surprisingly, I hate buying shoes! I know women are supposed to be obsessed with shoes, but for me its like buying tires for my car! I have to buy good quality, because I stand a lot as I teach, but I am totally not interested! LOL I guess we all have our obsessions.

Going to Rehoboth Beach in May and I am already dreaming of visiting the Dooney outlet; it's fabulous!

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 ruddietee said:

With so many people in need of assistance to live day to day how can people brag about owning 40 bags. Lot of money if you add it up.

Everyone has more or less than everyone else; and everyone makes choices. You apparently have a computer and people are starving. Can you justify that? Whom do we ask to justify what they buy and have or don't have? That's a dangerous game. It scares me to think about it.