Trusted Contributor

I was only a little girl for the flares in the 70's but when it came around briefly in the early 2000's, i wore for the short time they were around. I am 48 now and didn't have a clue they were back in style again until I went jeans shopping recently. My point is this: are flares best on a certain age and height and body type? Opinions welcome!

Honored Contributor

I do not think flared leg jeans ever when "out" of style.....now if you mean bell bottom "CHER" Style jeans.....that is another story. 

Honored Contributor

I'm 66 & never heard of flared jeans.  Do you mean bell bottoms????Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at Fri, Jun 24, 2016-12.34.43 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

i wore them 15 years ago and in the 70s.   the noise they make when you walk is annoying 

Honored Contributor

I remember trying to ride my bicycle in them.Woman Surprised Hilarious.Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I was reading about the trend this spring. One good thing is that trends these days usually are balanced by opposing trends, so you have choice. You can flare legs, wide legs, skinny leg jeans and boot cut which are slightly flared. In winter, I usually stick to long bootcut jeans that cover most of my loafer style shoes that have 2-3 " heels. That makes me look a bit talker and slimmer. But with long tunic tops, I feel skinny jeans or slim straight legs are best. Luckily, we can all do our own thing these days.

Honored Contributor

Susan Graver has been wearing her flared jeans a lot lately in her presentations,and I think they look great on her! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I do not think flared leg jeans ever when "out" of style.....now if you mean bell bottom "CHER" Style jeans.....that is another story. 

Exactly.  My INC and HIHollywood and G by Guiliana jeans are flared, but they are a modified flare.  They aren't too exaggerated, and they are not bell bottoms.  I hate those.  I love flare-bottom jeans.  They look the best on me of any kind of jean.  I don't like the boot cut ones as well.   

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Not really sure what you are looking for.  There are flares and there are flares.  They aren't all the same.  Of course, if you don't like them, don't wear them.  But if you think you migt like a pair, try on some that aren't "too" wide and floppy.  There are flares that really just a little wider than a bootcut....and their some that are clown pants  I seem to say this everyday but.....age isn't relevant.  I don't even understand why a 48 year old would ask.  I do think they flares migh be a challenge fr a very short woman, like under 5'3".  Too overwhelming.  But a reasonable flare works very, very well for those of us who have "generous" thighs and booties.  I'm 56 and I don't own any yet.  I'll wait until fall because I'm losing weight (again) and finding the right pair will take a while.  I'm thinking I would wear them with a form fitting turtleneck and my suede ankle boots. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I'm 66 & never heard of flared jeans.  Do you mean bell bottoms????Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at Fri, Jun 24, 2016-12.34.43 PM.png

Flares and bell bottoms are not the same thing.