Honored Contributor

Re: fashion RESOLUTIONS for 2014

Fixing long sleeves that shrunk to a wonky length...

Honored Contributor

Upcycling of a wedding dress! (I know this one won't be popular, but perhaps it will provide some inspiration for those bridesmaid dresses hanging in your closet). The bottom is denim.

Honored Contributor

Maternity top to skirt-

Honored Contributor

Old shirts to a layered dress-

Honored Contributor

Here's an example of what a tailor can do for something that's ho hum in your closet.

Super Contributor

Wow Lola, bravo for you! I will encourage you to keep this since it's what you want.

No resolutions for me, I modify my habits as needed throughout the year. I'll allow myself a new item here and there but for the most part I'm on maintenance mode. I am going to tailor a few pieces... have several pair of pants or jeans that are too long now that I'm sporting mostly lower heeled shoes.

I do need to get rid of a few things or take them in since losing the 20 lbs. in the first half of last year.

Maybe sell a few more items on Ebay...

That's it for me.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Pants to a jacket-

Honored Contributor

Lola - these are some interesting ideas and I applaud the talented and crafty women who have the patience to up-cycle their clothing. I cut the bodice/bustier part off of my wedding dress around Thanksgiving (saved for posterity) and pitched the skirt. The ideas for recycling parts of a wedding dress or bridesmaid dress are good ones.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Bird mama said:

Lola - these are some interesting ideas and I applaud the talented and crafty women who have the patience to up-cycle their clothing.

Just goes to show you what's out there. I would probably not go out and buy pieces from the thrift store (unless I wanted to practice before "ruining" one of my favorites), but I've seen a lot of unique ideas. I wanted to pay it forward for those who are keeping clothing for "sentimental" reasons. I also like the ideas of transforming things that you like but don't love into something that you'll wear often. Expensive items like sweaters, coats, and formal wear can be upcycled into more modern cuts. I do think it's impressive what a talented seamstress can do.