Honored Contributor

@SurferWifewrote:

WOW! I’m glad I don’t shop at Evine. If a prepaid return is $13, I can only imagine what it would be to return from HI. $6.95 with QVC sounds downright economical compared to that.

QVC charges $3 to ship and I had a package recently returned with $6.95 charge deducted from my refund, so that is $9.95.  It's not Hawaii, it's within the 48, so I have no idea how that might translate to the 2 other states or territories.  Anyone else know?

Respected Contributor

Re: evine shipping shocker

[ Edited ]

I've been very happy with Evine so far, but I'm very careful about what I order.

I agree about the shipping charges, though.  I wanted to order a Deen Brothers non-stick pan with accessories that someone recommended in the Kitchen forum.  It was priced at a super bargain price of $39.95 with $9.00 s/h.  I thought I'd wait until after the holidays as I was on a tight budget, but when I went to order the item, they had raised the s/h by $3.00!  It's now $12.00 to ship that pan, so I didn't order it.

To top it off, I recently checked on the pan again, and they took it off of super bargain pricing, raising the price to $89.95!!  Are they flippin' kidding me???

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@Carmiewrote:

@SeaMaiden  Donating doesn't work for every one to to save on taxes.  First you have to itemize.  Some people can’t do this and make out better by taking the standard deduction.

Also, if you do donate, only 30% of the value of non cash items are used.

It is a nice thing to do, but for people with lower incomes, it doesn’t help them. They might prefer to return the items.

@Carmie. ThankYou for a different view point.  Yes, donating might not work out  for everyone as It has for me. 

@SeaMaiden

@Carmie 

Also, with the new 2018 tax laws, it is quite possible many of us will no longer be itemizing but taking the new higher standard deduction.

Donations, while still a wonderful thing to do, may not be helpful in reduction of tax debt.  If you don't itemize, it doesn't matter how much you donate.

**Unless, of course, they change it all again before we do 2018 taxes!  LOL

Honored Contributor

In donating you do not necessarily have to itemize. We donate all the time.

How were these gauzy tops packaged? You do not need a box and the plastic envelopes the Q uses can be turned inside out. Did you ask for the cheapest shipment and insure?

Honored Contributor

Another thing: we always take pictures of our donations. Our accountant loves us.

Respected Contributor

Yes Evine's shipping costs are CRAZY....the best time to pick something up you know you will keep is when they offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount and use their CC card or they have it on reduced shipping....2.99.  I do not buy their jewelry anymore...I pick up some specials from Isomers and as for their clothing I tried it a few times and had to send back....just like you what a big waste of time and money!  Never again on the clothes.  

This weekend I was thinking of try out the TTV Deen Brothers pan just to see if the finish is as good as Curtis Stone's line from HSN but decided to cancel and am glad I did.  Not worth the risk and yep I see they keep raising prices and the shipping on a pan is crazy high!  I will wait for Curtis to return and get pans I know for sure are good instead with FREE shipping from HSN instead.  

Respected Contributor

@SurferWifewrote:

WOW! I’m glad I don’t shop at Evine. If a prepaid return is $13, I can only imagine what it would be to return from HI. $6.95 with QVC sounds downright economical compared to that.

If I read the OP correct the $13 is not Evine's return shipping fee, it is what the Post Office is charging her to return her tops. She said a return label was not included.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

In donating you do not necessarily have to itemize. We donate all the time.

How were these gauzy tops packaged? You do not need a box and the plastic envelopes the Q uses can be turned inside out. Did you ask for the cheapest shipment and insure?

@Group 5 minus 1

From the IRS website:

Can you deduct charitable contributions if you do not itemize?

"If you don't itemize your deductions, you can make thousands of dollars of charitable donations, but they won't be tax deductible. ... Here's how it works: Every year you have the option to claim a standard tax deduction for your filing status or to list out your deductions individually on Schedule A of IRS Form 1040. You must file a Schedule A of IRS Form 1040 in order to deduct donations to religious or chartiable entities.  Dec 21, 2010"  (bold references by the IRS, not me)

If you do not file Schedule A (which IS itemizing) you can NOT take donations as a tax deduction.  There is NO line item for charitable deductions on the IRS 1040 form.  ONLY on Schedule A.

Please also reference this: