Honored Contributor

Re: do you shop outfits or separates?

Separates.  Thanks to Linda Dano's 1997 book "Looking Great."   I don't buy anything unless it works with most of what I already own.  Everything in my closet will mix or match with most everything in the closet.

I rarely wear the same two or three pieces together.   

Honored Contributor

Separates - I buy what appeals to me. Too many tops but I  can always wear them with jeans. I love dresses because they're a one piece instant outfit.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Separates, almost exclusively.
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

Separates, definitely. Neutral bottoms...black/navy/gray/brown....so any tops go with. Purchase mainly online from Christopher & Banks and Appleseeds...they have many petites...only buy on sale and free S/H with promotions and/or their store credit card. Very, very little from the Q anymore...prices have gotten too steep.
Honored Contributor

Separates.  I stick with solid bottoms, so any color top will work.  

Honored Contributor

Like most here I shop for separates with outfits in mind.  Mental inventory of the closet always running in my head when shopping.  And I seldom buy something that can only be worn with one other thing.

Honored Contributor

I'm honestly surprised there are no outfit shoppers! I think it's a sign of the times that we're in and have been for decades now. When I was a little girl shopping for clothing was something you didn't do regularly but maybe twice a year. I'm sure in those days women were shopping with an eye towards outfits because there wasn't a mall every 5 or 10 miles and no online shopping

Honored Contributor

Usually separates, unless I need an outfit for something special.

Honored Contributor

I buy outfits. I will not buy a pair of pants without making sure I own a top that will look really well with them. I do not have a lot of clothing and prefer quality over quantity, so that way I can splurge on a complete outfit. I would prefer to buy one or two outfits a season with matching accessories than a top here or a pair of pants there. I also do not mix and match my clothing except perhaps a silk blouse with a pair of garbardine black pants and a wool blazer in the Fall and Winter.

I also love a dress now and again. I like the classic wrap dress when I have a special occasion to attend.. However, I would rather have 1 or 2 dresses than a closetful of them. It makes dressing in the morning easier for me.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Separates.  I don't like dressing like a department store mannequin.  

LOL, I assure you that isn't what buying a complete outfit entails. What I like about buying an outfit is that everything is dyed to match. You get it right the first time. Theory make beautiful silk blouses that are dyed to match their pants and skirts and you end up looking put together with minimal effort.